What would you do? series/parallel - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2005, 05:05 PM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy_A
So you would run a splitter, then? This sounds like it would be a good option, too. Question: Do you think I'd get the same level of performance just running one of the speakers instead of two?
If you are asking me, i'm in the opinion that none sounds better -- i prefer a virtual CC.

dave
Old 14th April 2005, 12:01 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

!!?! I have to put in my 2 cents - 2 drivers series or parallel will have the SAME efficiency (that is ratio of electric power in to acoustic power out) - sensitivity as usually thought of will be greater with the series connection - but less if you happen to have a 'current source' amp as opposed to the 'normal voltage source' amp.
Efficiency does not depend on the number of drivers - if you have 4 drivers then for a given acoustical power output each driver only has to produce a quarter of the power that one driver would but the total power input is the same. Probably distortion from suspension nonlinearities and doppler distortion will be reduced with more drivers

A series resistor will waste power (reduce efficiency and sensitivity) and change the damping (this maybe good or bad depending on the rest of the design) and change the design of the cross over - not good or bad but different.

I'd tend to vote for series, safe for the amp and I hate to waste power - so much easier to create 'good' low power. But it is but one of many design decisions and I bet the amp won't mind to much unless you play things very loud - just the amp designers doing a little CYA, of course maybe the amp really is not happy with 4 ohm loads ...

Bill
Old 14th April 2005, 12:37 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

series or parallel huh, hmmm. I would actually never use series with woofers because they are used in their resonance frequency region. And as we all know the impedance rises at the Fs, so when you would wire e.g. two woofers in series these two woofers have to be EXACTLY the same. A tiny difference in the mass or suspension will change the Fs AND then will change the impedance (drastically at the Fs!). So, power distribution between two series wired woofer will possibly NEVER be equal if the drivers aren't 100% the same. Also, the bassresponse won't be very acccurate that way. Both units won't act as one.

thats my five cents.
Old 14th April 2005, 10:17 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

What did I write! I must of confused myself by talking about a series resistor (to the paralleled drivers) - I meant to say I'd vote for the parallel connection with maybe a resistor, but probably none.

memo to self - think before typing, read before hitting submit!

Hide this!Advertise here!