What would you do? series/parallel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The post about tapped transformers got me distracted from the path I'm following.

I have an OPPO BDP-95 connected to an Audible Illusions (AI) preamp which is connected to an amp. The amp is connected to speakers in a HT room and to stereo speakers in a different room. All components are in a closet in the HT room.

I plan to set the OPPO to max and find a sweet spot on the AI preamp for the HT room and, very likley, a different sweet spot on the preamp for the other room.

I'll use the OPPO remote control to lower volume, when necessary, while listening in either room.

If you have two woofers of impedance X ohms, in series you would have a 2X ohm load. In parallel you would have an X/2 ohm load. If you add an X/2 ohm resistor in series with the woofers in parallel the load will then be X ohms. Now, if the amp puts out Y volts across the load, in the series cars you would have Y/2 volts across each driver. Similarly, for the parallel case, you will have Y/2 volts across the resistor and Y/2 volt across the drivers in parallel, i.e. across each driver. So both configuration will produce the same SPL at a given amp output voltage. The difference will be that in the parallel case with series resistor the load will draw twice the current of that of the series configuration with 1/2 the power being dissipated in the series resistor. In addition, the series resistor will increase Qes, hence Qts, which means that a (sealed) box designed for a specific Qtc would be larger for the parallel/series resistance case, and therefore would have a lower Fc. However, because of the series resistance there could still be some interaction between the drivers due to differences in the back emf if the woofers were not 100% identical (Fs, Qms, Qes, etc). Still, this would most likely be a better configuration than the woofers in series case.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.