How to Make Small Cube Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Best speakers I can afford

jered22 said:
what is the best 2.5 to 3" apeaker I can buy for under $20? I would like it to cover from 10 to 200 watts if possible.

There are no 3" drivers that will handle much more than 20 watts.

To address your list of questions with my opinionated answers:

1) See this:
Comparison of 10 wide range minispeakers - Extensive tests of drivers 3" or smaller

2) MDF

3) Plastic or particle board

4) Yes, if you know what you're doing. If you are a newbie, follow a pre-designed kit exactly and use it as a learning experience. Jumping in without a predesigned kit will result in failure and/or disappointment. It takes many years to get good enough at this to be able to create a great sounding speaker design from scratch.

5) DIY speakers, when properly designed, will surpass the quality of store bought by a factor of 5:1.

6) Yes, see # 4 and 5

And as a final comment, let me just say that if you clone a crappy design (anything with small cube speakers) you end up with a crappy design or worse. Most 3" drivers require a 2.5 liter enclosure as a minimum. Seriously, if you want speakers the size of a fist, just go buy them because it would be a waste of time doing it yourself. To use a phrase that I learned from my grandpa when I was 16 and I wanted to fix up my rusty beater car, "You can't polish a turd". :D

Hey, that's a cool 'mini driver' review page. Thanks for posting it.

I've thought about making a mini sub sat system a bit. I'd probably use the aura 3" drivers, if only because they'd be able to handle a lower crossover to a 'sub' and should work fine in a tiny sealed box.

So, if I were doing this: Aurasound NS3 drivers in little sealed boxes crossed to a 10" sub that's known to sound decent if crossed up a bit. I'd look at the MCM 55-2190 maybe. Cross 4th order at 150 or so. It's not ideal, but better than what bo$e and others do. The sub should be centered if possible.

For more dynamics, running two 3" per box in a bipole (magnet to magnet) would solve the bafflestep and improve efficiency. I'd use a piece of foam over the rear driver to attenuate the HF a bit myself. The boxes could still be just about as small as you could make them.

I made some small TL's once using a pair of 3" audax FR'ers per side, and they turned out nicely. They weren't 'micro' however. Run with a 12" sub crossed at 125, they were impressive for the cost.

GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.