new box design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Had a new idea on box design and wanted to see what some of you thought.

The box would have MDF baffle and the sides would be vertical cuts of sonotube, maybe even multiple layers. The back would be a much smaller MDF piece, so the box tapers toward the rear. This would be a similar shape to the Sonus Faber Amatis. Has anyone tried anything similar? Please give any positive/negative feedback on the design.

My new girlfriend is head of the craft center at Georgia Tech, so I have all kinds of molding materials and whatnot at my disposal for almost no cost. Hopefully I'll be able to build some pretty exotic designs this semester!

Austin

Well, well, well...

Here is one guy that loves pretty designs!!
I had tried to do the same, but using solid wood. You know, handcrafted to make the round shape...
The final result was... ugly.
I think the way I made that was the worst.
Your idea, in my poit of view, is great, as you have equipment.
Go on and show us the final result.

Regards,

Pedro Martins

well I am trying to do something similar.

only I am using layers of MDF.

At present my design is just that. I am still waiting for lead sheet that I intend ot use between layers of 8mm MDF.

The front baffle is 10" the rear is 3".

I will have to make a pattern for the sides.

I can send you photos when I am done but no telling when that will be.

read my post ("lots of questions") to know more.

Regards
Navin

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Austin said:
The box would have MDF baffle and the sides would be vertical cuts of sonotube, maybe even multiple layers.

i have a piece of sonoube out in the yard that i intend to use as an experiment to see if it can easily be formed into a cone (for implementation of a Conehead TQWT.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I was discussing this with my constructioneer buddy, and he mentioned that sonotubes are designed to unravel if you cut them the long way. I am going to stabalize the tube at the cut line with a sandwich of wood before i slice them and see if that works.

dave

Austin said:
My new girlfriend is head of the craft center at Georgia Tech, so I have all kinds of molding materials and whatnot at my disposal for almost no cost. Hopefully I'll be able to build some pretty exotic designs this semester!

Austin

Are you really going to keep your new girlfriend for one semester! Try settling down! ;)
Sorry, couldn't resist!
Gaz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.