Which Seas tweeter 2 choose.. ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
Which Seas tweeter would be better in terms of transparence
and overall quality: 25TFFC (H519) or the newer one 27TDC (H1149)?
The 25TFFC has an overall better waterfall, but the latter has
lower Fs.

Or maybe should I take a look at another Seas (?) tweeter in
this (up to 60 $/pair) price range?

What's actually more important - better waterfall or better
powerhandling? (The planned Xo will be about 2.5 Khz or maybe
a littlebit lower)

Which one to choose..?

Thanks,

CBC

The 27/TDFC came highly regarded, so I bought a pair for a project. I think they sound fantastic for domes (I must admit I'm a ribbon fan), and they were very simple to work with. I haven't heard any others from the Seas basic line, so I can't comment on comparisons to others.

Hello John,
thank you for your reply. Something tells me that I'll go towards
27 TDFC or 27 TDC. Well, the difference here is the fact that one
uses ferrofud in the magnet gap and the other one doesn't.
So, here's the question - ferrofluid or not?

The actual philosophy of the entire speaker has finally emerged
and it's going to be a 3-wy system sporting the following drivers:
- Seas L26RFX/P (H1209) as a woofer
- Seas H1224 ( http://www.seas.no/seas_line/woofers/H1224.pdf)

So, tweeter should match the above drivers... any ideas?

Thanks,

CBC

Ferrofluid or not, hum... good question

The ferrofluid is used to cool down the voice coil, it gives the tweeter a better power handling.
But, looking at the waterfall plots, tweeters with ferrofluid have a less smooth curve, this can be explained by additional stored energy in the fluid

so, to keep it (too) simple:
ferrofluid can be usefull if you want to drive it hard, loud, cross it low or with a low order
unless, go for the version without it

But, looking at the waterfall plots, tweeters with ferrofluid have a less smooth curve, this can be explained by additional stored energy in the fluid

This is the point - I decided to place a midwoofer in open baffle
so that it has the fastest energy dissipation..

I'll go for the NoFerro version.

btw. any alternative to Seas in this price range (up to 65 $ / pair)...?

CBC

In this pricerange, the SEAS fabric tweeters are well regarded

but you're comparing a 25mm with FF, with a 27mm without FF
there's also the 25ww without FF and the 27mm with FF ;)

I've heard good things about some vifas too (don't remember the part numbers, but a search on this forum will give you the answear)

The "entry range" morels in this pricerange are also well regarded

In the modest pricing range (modest for SEAS that is) one of the finest tweeters is the KT27F. It is used, amongst others, in the original version of the Seas EX4 with an Seas excel mid and Seas excel bas. Some prefer the KT27F above the Seas Excel T25 001.

I've used the KT27F with a Seas GR17REXP in a monitor and the results are very very good.

I prefer the KT27F above the Vifa ringradioators which I've used as wel, although they are very good too.

No, I didn't had a change to compare those. I might have heard the others but not side by side.

The comparison with the Vifa ringradiator is isde by side. The Vifa is very good too, my wife liked the vifa more (but the monitor was also more beautiful)

back_front_small.jpg

IM343_seas_small.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.