Back Loaded Horn Bending

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I saw the Carfrae Litle-big-horn laudspeaker and the design is fascinated me a lot! So, I would like to try to build a back loaded horn like this, in this style.

I read a very good articel on the Lowther Club of Norway about their's All fun horn. My plan is that I would use theirs calculated reducted size horn. (ca.40Hz)

Has somebody any idea how could I calculate the bend around a circle?

Tyimo

Attachments

• little-big-horn.jpeg
    little-big-horn.jpeg
    20.2 KB · Views: 589
Hi!

I am trying to ask here also my question:

Could somebody tell me which horn folding method would give better result:

-the factory Fostex enclosure with sharp corners & steps or
-the attached (Isophon) enclosure with smooth curves?

What are the advantages or disadvantages?

Tyimo

Attachments

• h510_2.jpg
    h510_2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 427

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!
Has somebody any idea how could I calculate the bend around a circle?
If you mean the acoustic length then it's SQRT(inside pathlength*outside pathlength).
Could somebody tell me which horn folding method would give better result:

-the factory Fostex enclosure with sharp corners & steps or
-the attached (Isophon) enclosure with smooth curves?

What are the advantages or disadvantages?
Depends on your performance goals. If you don't want much upper harmonics coming from the mouth then you can use sharp corners to limit BW, though some argue that the reflections back to the throat can modulate the driver, but if you make smooth bends then you may have to deal with excessive comb filtering mids BW emanating from the mouth.

GM

Replikon

Hi!

Thanks, I already read the infos on the Klang-form akustik's site and also the dialog of Till Roemhild on the:

http://www.audiomap.de/forum/index....9150c082f5/topic_id/19170/mesg_id/19186/page/

My question is:

Am I undersand theirs BLH method well?:
-the BIG pressure chamber behind the driver is tuned to the driver Fs. So Fc=Fs=55Hz ( The horn will amplify only the frequencies under the Fs and there will be no interferency between the horn's and the driver's direct radiations.)
-the Horn mouth tuned to 35 Hz = 4500cm2
-the horn lenght tuned to 45Hz = 1.2 m (?)
,but 1.2m=71Hz (!) and 1.91m would be the correct lenght for 45Hz. Are They sum up the pressure chamber lenght with the horn lenght to get the 1.9m?

Tyimo

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Replikon

Tyimo said:
Am I undersand theirs BLH method well?:
-the BIG pressure chamber behind the driver is tuned to the driver Fs. So Fc=Fs=55Hz ( The horn will amplify only the frequencies under the Fs and there will be no interferency between the horn's and the driver's direct radiations.)
-the Horn mouth tuned to 35 Hz = 4500cm2
-the horn lenght tuned to 45Hz = 1.2 m (?)

It is much more complex than that....

as an example.... for free space loading, the horn would need a diameter of 1566 mm to reach 35 hz Sitting on the floor you could divide the area in half.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.