Dual tweeter center channel?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am going to build a center channel, and I have several extra tweeters.

I was going to do an MTM, but I could build an MTTM. I cant find much info on this.

I am thinking of something similar to this.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Do I approach this as I would a regular MTM?

The goal is wide dispersion and clear dialogue.

I have SW to do measurements and crossover simulations.

Generally, it's a bad idea. However, it can be done. The sole benefit is slightly higher power handling and lower crossover point. There was a discussion on Madisound a while back.

The wrong way to do it is to simply parallel the tweeters. The right way to do it is described by Paul Hilgeman below.

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/discuss.cgi?read=335861

I've used the same concept on midwoofers for a sideways MTM center channel with limited baffle step but better lobing tendencies.

Generally however, it's better to use a small dedicated midrange below the tweeter, such as a Morel MDM55, a popular choice in a center channel W-T/M-W config.

Axiom speakers use dual tweeters in the worst way possible. See below.
VP150BlackGrillOff.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.