Radio Shack 40-1354 speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2002, 01:15 AM   #1
mltaunt is offline mltaunt  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Radio Shack 40-1354 speakers

FIY

This discontinued speaker seems to be very popular with DIYers. There are a lot of single driver projects on the web that use it.

Local Radio Shacks (Detroit) are practically giving them away! I bought four lasts week for $2.00 US each. I bought four more at another store for $1.00 each. Decent sound in every room AND the garage! If you dont't see them ask the clerk to look in the back room or check the computer. The two employees I dealt with had no idea what they were.
Old 25th August 2002, 01:51 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Radio Shack 40-1354 speakers

Quote:
Originally posted by mltaunt
This discontinued speaker seems to be very popular with DIYers. There are a lot of single driver projects on the web that use it.

Local Radio Shacks (Detroit) are practically giving them away! I bought four lasts week for $2.00 US each. I bought four more at another store for $1.00 each. Decent sound in every room AND the garage! If you dont't see them ask the clerk to look in the back room or check the computer. The two employees I dealt with had no idea what they were.
Down to a $1 each!! Wow!!

These are highly respected bang-for-the-buck FRs. I had a friend ship me up 4 from Alabama to try out. I'm going to build a bipolar something -- either one of these ML-TQWTs based on Bob Brine's single driver pipe or a bi-pole based on Steven Brown's TLs.

dave
Old 25th August 2002, 10:11 AM   #3
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

I really would like to have a pair - at least !

But how do I get them from here (Austria) ?

Any ideas or help ?

regards
Klaus
Old 25th August 2002, 03:41 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by lohk
I really would like to have a pair - at least ! But how do I get them from here (Austria) ? Any ideas or help ?
Klaus,

These are discontinued, were only available in the US, so the only way you will get a hold of a pr is to find a sympathetic person who has some and is willing to part with them.

dave
Old 25th August 2002, 10:36 PM   #5
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

Oh yes,

I think there are quite many nice people around here so that will not be the problem...

OK, of somebody will find more items than needed and can send them to me (at my costs), this will "be much apreciatetd". ( Need some power transistors in exchange ? )

No, honestly, if somebody will do the work, I will find something (besides the money).
Mltaunt ?

Klaus
Old 25th August 2002, 10:52 PM   #6
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've always wanted to give some of those a try as well, but alas, even in the states you cannot buy them anymore unless they're clearing out old stock, so they seem to be pretty rare . Maybe you should give the 40-1197s a try, they're supposed to be good, and they're available here in canada, so they're probably available down in aus as well.
Old 25th August 2002, 11:09 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeBob
I've always wanted to give some of those a try as well, but alas, even in the states you cannot buy them anymore unless they're clearing out old stock, so they seem to be pretty rare . Maybe you should give the 40-1197s a try, they're supposed to be good, and they're available here in canada, so they're probably available down in aus as well.
The 40-1354 is indeed rare, basically only the ones lost on the back shelves of Radio Shack stores in the US have them for the bargain price. Anyone who has hoarded some knows their true value... (i tendered more than a few favours to get the 4 i have).

The 40-1197 is still available here in Canada for $20 CAD each (~13 USD), but by the time you paid postage it might be almost as cheap to buy a real Fostex FE103, which is a better version of the same driver. (if anyone still wants to persue i'd be happy to help out).

dave
Old 28th July 2006, 07:56 PM   #8
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Radio Shack 40-1354 speakers

Dave, links don't seem to work, would appreciate correction if possible.

gychang

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Down to a $1 each!! Wow!!

These are highly respected bang-for-the-buck FRs. I had a friend ship me up 4 from Alabama to try out. I'm going to build a bipolar something -- either one of these ML-TQWTs based on Bob Brine's single driver pipe or a bi-pole based on Steven Brown's TLs.

dave
Old 1st August 2006, 10:45 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

(i tendered more than a few favours to get the 4 i have).

dave
Hey, don't ask, don't tell...

I still have a few left and I'm not parting with them. Not only are they good FRs, they make excellent wideband mids. I posted pics of my bipoles here on the FR board. Pretty good, but I still like these better as widebands.
Old 14th June 2011, 01:26 PM   #10
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Default RS 40-1354 replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I had a friend ship me up 4 from Alabama to try out. I'm going to build a bipolar something -- either one of these ML-TQWTs based on Bob Brine's single driver pipe.

dave
I know this is an old thread, since RS is out of production, is Fostex FE103En close for Brines Straight Pipe build?

Straight Pipe

thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!