a speaker project : open baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
this is a copy out of a mail but i didn't want to hold it back for you guys. hope you like it a bit, and if questions: please ask them;

greetings the dude

I have been drawing on paper the wooden panels for a coral-full range- bass reflex, but since it is gonna take a while before i will be able to get a car, i have made some other things.

A few hours ago i had my normal speakers running. It's build out of an 15 open baffle woofer parralled with a kef subwoofer who has an filter in it so that everything above 400(i think) goes to the sattelite, but i have replace the standard sattelite of kef with an open baffle driver and a tweeter.

first i bought in a second hand store a two way; it was phillips high fidelity speaker : price : 10 dollar, hahaha; it had woofer-midrange out of paper of 17 cm, not much woofer but a very good (rather warm midrange 100hz-2500hz) and an extreme good tweeter if you ask me, it's a very small tweeter (1.1cm) and comes in at 2500, since it is so small (not a 1 inch tweeter which can cross at 1200hz or something like that) it is very fast in the highs, i like it very much (even a good friend of mine who has a lot of money to buy extreme expensive material was impressed with the tweeter, even with the midrange-woofer ((Actually this was my first step to open baffle, i attached the philips speaker to the kef sub : the sound was good, i opend the back of the philips and it was astoning)

i also bought a visaton "full range driver" it looks like a coral , but is visaton, it has the same white-yellow membrane and is also very fast, but a little bright if you ask me, but in the right enclosure it will rock (frws 17 is the type) i replaced one speaker of the 17cm philips with the visaton for hearing the difference, the visaton was to bright, the phillips was to warm, but both togheter is was better, hahahah (you see, i don't spent a lot of time nor money on it) (to busy wit other things) but today, i thought why not try the coral in open baffle, because, i want one very good sound system, and not 10 mediocre,

the intention was (and still is) to buy an digital crossover like the behringer dcx 2496, then drive each speaker with an amp, the bass: i have a 400watt rms bose monster, for the full-range (i'm gonna let him run from 100hz-17000) i'm gonna build an el84 triode or pushpull and for the tweeter (maybe i replace it with a high sensitivity tweeter, so that i can power it up with an darling amp : it has only 0.7 watt, and doesn't cost much. but i dont know yet. )

but anyway since i don't have that fancy stuff, i replaced the old panels (90*60) with new (100*800) and poped the corals in the panels (a little bit assymetric)
i must say it is quite good, i know the fase isn't right all the way, so there is a lot room for improvement, and the crossover isn't "really dedicated" (hahaha) but still the coral does it better then the other drivers, you can hear the potential of the speaker, it's just as bright as it has to be, and as warm as it has to be.
i let it run from (400hz to infinity) and the tweeter helps (it comes it at 2500) but the highs are not to present i think. (it is rahter balanced : but i have to do it on hearing, have no measuring material, after i'm finished studying, i'm gonna take a few months do to things right, but until then, i can live with the sound that i have.
but the more i listen to it, the more the details i notice, the instrument are seperated. the coral is very good drive and maybe the heart of a very high quality full range open baffle system supported by a big sub and a small tweeter.

voila , a short story
o yeah, the amp used is a old nad-monitor-integrated amp, with 75w rms per channel: quite good but to give you an idea: i had a musical fidelity AX1 and it was better, after 1 second i could hear the difference, so that says enough.

(other plans that i have : buy a ESL with the open baffle sub; and dedicated tube amp without the transformator so i can attach it straight to the ESL; i have been in an esl diy building club in holland, but it's very hard to make a decent product that can stand 20 years of playing;; i think i'm gonna be searching the rest of my live, but on the web everybody is raging about the active digital crossover and it are the same people who persuaded me to go open baffle (there advice was a good one, so i think i'm gonna follow the other advice to)
((IT WAS HERE ON THIS FORUM THAT OPEN BAFFLE STORY WAS TOLD TO ME)))

anyway, this is it guys, a small story,.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.