diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   Design a Bose-beater (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/54287-design-bose-beater.html)

Dave Jones 27th March 2005 12:46 AM

Design a Bose-beater

My girlfriend wants a Bose system. Obviously, this cannot stand.

It is also apparent that a lot of people value small size more than full, undistorted sound. My challenge to you all is to design a Bose-beater -- a system with a small subwoofer and very small satelites. It may not be possible to build an uncompromisingly good system that small, but it is probably possible to design something that's quite small and sounds pretty good.

I guess the first decision is the driver for the satelites, a three inch extended range speaker, one would assume.

I took a quick look at the Fostex 3 inchers. The fe87e would appear to require a bigger-than-Bose box. The FF85K could go in a very small box, on the order of 50in^3, but would have to be crossed over at around 180Hz. (I've heard that some Bose systems cross over even higher, though.)

What say you all? Design a Bose-beater.

[Mr. Moderator, feel free to move this to the Full Range BB, if you think that's where it belongs.]

chipco3434 27th March 2005 03:12 AM

But I heard Bose was the best. Everybody says that they're the best.

mastertech 27th March 2005 04:01 AM

Bose the best?
too many compromises to keep it all small and compact
but Bose is really big Brand nevertheless

mike.e 27th March 2005 04:33 AM

It wont be hard to DIY a bose beater,because your spending 100% of your money on parts, rather than 0.1%

Small subwoofer:confused: :smash: :bawling: :dead:

Tiny,inefficient single drivers?

= recipe for quiet listening

Id take a technical approach.

Realise that your not going to get HT lows that you can hear from tiny woofers,and choose an appropriate cutoff with say an 8"
-Perhaps the distortions will allow you to think there is LF bass.

Choosing the single driver for 100hz + will be more troublesome and more subjective/empirical.

Using MDF rather than thin plastic will help things also imao.

SkinnyBoy 27th March 2005 05:33 AM

I'm listening to two 6.5inch peerless woofers in a sealed 10 litre box, with the low end boosted.. and am EXTREMELY happy, and surprised by how loud and low they can go, corner loaded ofcourse :)

Bill Fitzpatrick 27th March 2005 06:48 AM

Tell her it's a line array with two 12" woofers per channel or the highway.

Dave Jones 27th March 2005 07:17 AM

C'mon, folks. I'm serious.

I want to build a sub/sat system with tiny satelites. I've got to, in self-defense. How about some constructive suggestions?

Dave Jones 27th March 2005 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mike.e
[BSmall subwoofer:confused: :smash: :bawling: :dead:

Tiny,inefficient single drivers?

= recipe for quiet listening
[/B]
That is correct. Quiet listening. It's for a small artist's studio. The studio is small. Come to think of it, so is the artist.

pinkmouse 27th March 2005 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Jones
C'mon, folks. I'm serious.

I want to build a sub/sat system with tiny satelites. I've got to, in self-defense. How about some constructive suggestions?

How small is small?

kelticwizard 27th March 2005 08:17 AM

Dave:

You can really help us out here is you give us the outside dimensions of the subs and the four sats you are trying to beat.

If we are allowed to go over, volume wise, please tell us by how much.

I don't think it is fair to expect us to look up those specs ourselves.