Design a Bose-beater

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I find this project at parts express quite interesting. You don't notice at first how small these speakers are, but they are only 8" high, 5" wide, and 6" deep!

http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/lytlefive/index.html

My only concern is *if* I look at the fr graph correctly, they have VERY LOW sensitivity, but I guess you can't have everything (small enclosure, 100Hz bass extension, and high effiency).

I am watching this thread very closly as I have a keen interest in this very thing! Although I don't mind going larger than the bose cubes, I do want something small, and stylish.

Currently I own Klipsch Quintets, which are stylish, but I desire a product that currently doesn't exist: Small stylish, decent sounding speakers with a wide dispersion center channel. I can't find this product anywhere, so I am considering turning to DIY, even though I have ZERO DIY experience, so I am very interested in the end product here!

-Alan

I think you can get a better looking and sounding than the bxxe sub/sat for under $600.

I would check out the satellites that Mirage sells in there Omnistat line.

I have the Omnistats Micros, which are small and stylish. They are on very cool stands but can be wall mounted. They blow the doors of the bxxx sats because of the firing pattern. Tehy are dramatically 3-D sounding. They are not as accurate as a ProAc or similiar
overpriced 2-way, but I respond better to space and image than I do sheer linear accuracy.

As for the DIY sub..
You can build a sub with a kit to your liking. I like the Sonatube designs, but I would check out the Bill Fitzmaurice Autotuba (10" version).

Other satellite options are the ball shaped steel enclosures. I like the idea of concept. As for DIY, I wonder how one can get cast steel spheres with a hole cut out? Orb Audio, Anthony Gallo are well-known, but even Morel is jumping on that bandwagon.

I only mention the commercial speakers alternatives two the cubes and boring, large 2-ways.

The only problem I see with the Tang Band and other FR speaks are the very low power ratings. Of course, I have not heard anyone complaine, perhaps becasue they are using tube amps or something.

How are these for Bose beaters? To my ear they are better not to mention you can buy them on ebay for $15+/- each. I've got a set that I'm going to build some ELF 1.0 type cabinets for. My daughter is getting a nice sounding home theater setup for her bedroom. Will use Billfitsmaurice.com Tuba18 for the low end.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Actually, those look like very good Bose-beaters... if we're talking about sound quality.

I recently got to hear a pair of those at a friend's dorm room, and with the subwoofer I found them to be surprisingly neutral and dynamic. It may have been a slightly different set- but those logitec computer speakers have so much performance for the size and price that it makes Bose seem silly, and almost (but not even close! ;) ) makes me re-think DIY for places where my girlfriend objects on aesthetic grounds.

Even more recently I visited the Bose store and listened to a lot of their systems. I don't have time to re-read this thread- but what the heck are people trying to beat?!? Sound quality? Easy! Making something smaller? That would be a set of headphones. The main thing they have going for them is a remote control.

Not DIY, but still nice...

This may have been posted before. I don't know, since I haven't read the entire thread. Also, it's not DIY. But certainly a cheap and decent-sound-for-a-few-bucks kind of solution. Or it might help you to another idea.

Logitech X-230. They're originally PC or laptop speakers. They don't have very much power, nor sofa-shaking bass, but sound pretty darn good for the money. It's a 2.1 system for about 90 Euro's or maybe even less. A friend of mine has 'em hooked up to a standard laptop soundcard. So if you were to connect them to the output of a cd-player, you'd get a pretty nice, low budget-low effort solution. Try them out at your local computer store...

Edit: Uhmmm... Forget this post... You're trying to Really Seriously kick some Bose Butt. The afore mentioned logitech system isn't up to that task. It sounds good, really. But beating Bose Acoustimass? No...

Attachments

• logitech x-230.jpg
    logitech x-230.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 543
First of all it is a DIY site.

The logitech's could beat bose but probably need another(larger) enclosure to benefit from the speakers capacity. Most full range Tangbands don't like too small boxes if you want them to get low to match the sub.

Nevertheless, maybe not a bose beater because it is not intended for living room use but for desktop use. Actually I'm designing them for my laptop and yes, the little copper tupe is an integrated stereo class D amp (amp3, 41Hz). I will use a modified M-audio usb soundcard to drive them and a tiny sub is in the design stage.

Don't know of the quality yet but I hope to beat most of the little computerspeakers out there.

The double walls of the cup's will be filled with bitumes and or silicones and the inner side will be covered with thick felt.

I'm showing it here because it might give ideas for designs with a high WAF.

coffee_mugg_small.JPG

coffee_cup_front_small.JPG

Amp3_ready_small.JPG

Depth Charge said:
Interesting that the Logitech system is THX certified but the Bose system isn't.

The THX certification is different for computer media speakers. Obviously not as stringent. But still it has to cost logitech some money to get Lucasfilms(or whomever does the certifying) to allow the use of THX on the speakers. I'm sure there is still a certain minimum they have to perform up to.

FYI - Those specific speakers are from the now discontinued Z-560 speakers. Was originally a 4.1 setup. The sub was also very good using an 8" TB speaker.

not sure i understand this thread i have read most of it but it seems to me that there is no way anyone is willing to compromise sound to develop a cube of a 4 inch nature. The development of a Art style or even a little bit bigger design seems so much better. Theres a reason a cube of such small dimensions cant/shouldnt be reproduced wouldnt you say? Just my opinion but then again what do i know. lots of fine smallish designs out there.... those TB speakers keep showing up? are they any good?
These are a cool smallish speaker anyone ever looked into this design? http://www.timn8er.com/aural_imaging_tb3_surround.htm
Fellow DiYer?

(shameless i know
:D )

I hope you're seriously joking. I mean, Logitech computer speakers better than the Companion 3 speakers from Bose? HAHAHH! Funny stuff.

Go ahead, measure the frequency repsone of the C3 from Bose and you'll be surprised, surprised as to how well they measure. Now, of course they aren't the be all-end all, but are a far above electrical device than Logicrap. Sure, the TB speakers are the best part, but the power supply, amplifier, EQ (if any) is inferior to Bose's by a factor of 500.

I spent 6 months of research and listening and the usual brouhaha when purchasing commercial speakers. After taking apart Logitechs, Altec Lansings, Klipsch, Bose, etc, etc. Bose had superior electronics layout and components in regards to the above names minus Klipsch. The Klipsch are well put together also.

The C3s use a torroidal transformer with two taps (something like 14V and 30V, I forget exactly), for capacitance, a single 30,000uF cap, the layout is very neat and well engineered. And the sound, well, usual sealed/vented enclosure. Once I optimised the enclosure's position in the room to activate the right resonances, it sounds very good and is commonly mistaken for an all-out home stereo/theater. Though, it doesn't have the magical beauty and intimacy of my Open Baffle loudspeakers, it does work and whilst studying my engineering books, I can thank the C3s for saving me DIY time.

So, where were we again?....gotcha'!

Regardless, the system has high WAF and that is what we want. Now, if you look in my previous posts you'll see that I've undertaken this project myself. However, as partial as I am to open baffles, I will be implementing open baffles for at least the mid-range. And, considering the system isn't for me (I'm a stereo supporter) the 'bass' section will most likely be some sort of sealed/vented enclosure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.