Design a Bose-beater

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My girlfriend wants a Bose system. Obviously, this cannot stand.

It is also apparent that a lot of people value small size more than full, undistorted sound. My challenge to you all is to design a Bose-beater -- a system with a small subwoofer and very small satelites. It may not be possible to build an uncompromisingly good system that small, but it is probably possible to design something that's quite small and sounds pretty good.

I guess the first decision is the driver for the satelites, a three inch extended range speaker, one would assume.

I took a quick look at the Fostex 3 inchers. The fe87e would appear to require a bigger-than-Bose box. The FF85K could go in a very small box, on the order of 50in^3, but would have to be crossed over at around 180Hz. (I've heard that some Bose systems cross over even higher, though.)

What say you all? Design a Bose-beater.

[Mr. Moderator, feel free to move this to the Full Range BB, if you think that's where it belongs.]

It wont be hard to DIY a bose beater,because your spending 100% of your money on parts, rather than 0.1%

Small subwoofer:confused: :smash: :bawling: :dead:

Tiny,inefficient single drivers?

= recipe for quiet listening

Id take a technical approach.

Realise that your not going to get HT lows that you can hear from tiny woofers,and choose an appropriate cutoff with say an 8"
-Perhaps the distortions will allow you to think there is LF bass.

Choosing the single driver for 100hz + will be more troublesome and more subjective/empirical.

Using MDF rather than thin plastic will help things also imao.

kelticwizard said:
Dave:

You can really help us out here is you give us the outside dimensions of the subs and the four sats you are trying to beat.

If we are allowed to go over, volume wise, please tell us by how much.

I don't think it is fair to expect us to look up those specs ourselves.

Here's the competition. This is one channel, not two. Assume an average size hand. :) I think I could go a tad larger.

Attachments

• kf_direct_reflecting_arrays.jpg
    kf_direct_reflecting_arrays.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 3,107
If the sub/sat system has got to be kept small, try an Adire Audio Extremis 6.8 - Vifa MG10MD-09-08 driver combo.

The Extremis6.8's 1"pp linear excursion + XBL^2 motor should give clean, impressive, bass (for the size).

I'd use 2 MG10s in parallel per satellite, which brings the sensitivity up by about 6dB. Also, this configuration allows for you to make the satellites look and swivel like the ones made by BOSE.

MG10MD-09-08 :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Quite a nice graph, should sound MUCH better than those BOSE cubes. Did you know these drivers are the ones pictured on diyAudio.com's main page?

HTH :)

Isaac

I'll tell you a great system. I took PVC T-joints and cut the center piece off flush to make a flat mounting spot for the driver, then trimmed the top and bottom down small, then sealed them with 1/4" Pressboard. Then I put Tang Band 3" 871's in all 5, and made a small powered sub with an 8" Vifa driver, and I have been ECSTATIC about it for quite some time. Anybody who thinks these are not capable of decent volume with good performance needs to shut up and try it first. What an amazing little driver.

I can post a photo if you are interested.

No Highs and no lows its Bose.

To be honest I would dump her and get a real woman that knows audio. I can see the future with a woman that doesn't really know
audio nor does she have the ability to do so. Can you really imagine being able to put together a DIY project in the future?

To answer your question.... Pick anything and it will outperform the Bose system hands down.

burnedfingers said:
No Highs and no lows its Bose.

To be honest I would dump her and get a real woman that knows audio.

They're all too rare sadly. I know one -an opera singer (very attractive too... ;) ) who now has the pair of Martin King design FE164 ML TQWT I built a while ago in her own listening room, and loves them. A woman of taste and refinement, who also likes Janis Joplin and Led Zep. They don't come much better!

I didn't know those drivers were the ones pictured on the main page either. You learn something new (complete well-known phrase...)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.