Design a Bose-beater

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
of even better, put a pair of HUGE speakers in the room while she is out,
after she objects, after a judged perod owing to temprement whilst keeping in the safe non arguement one, reluctuntly agree there to big and say you will replace them with something smaller.
then replace them with your normal large speakers, they will seem tiny in comparison and she will think you have made a fair compromise.. which in reallity in my opinion it is. i mean a set of good sized, floorstanding speakers dont take up much space anyway....

if your a honest but slightly crafty person, like myself you should tell her this, but after a month or so..., when your both enjoying some nice music, and when she has become accustimed to the new "arrangement", after all relationships are bassed on trust and honesty, and sound systems are bassed on... well bass

problem solved

Last edited:
of even better, put a pair of HUGE speakers in the room while she is out,
after she objects, after a judged perod owing to temprement whilst keeping in the safe non arguement one, reluctuntly agree there to big and say you will replace them with something smaller.
then replace them with your normal large speakers, they will seem tiny in comparison and she will think you have made a fair compromise.. which in reallity in my opinion it is. i mean a set of good sized, floorstanding speakers dont take up much space anyway....

if your a honest but slightly crafty person, like myself you should tell her this, but after a month or so..., when your both enjoying some nice music, and when she has become accustimed to the new "arrangement", after all relationships are bassed on trust and honesty, and sound systems are bassed on... well bass

problem solved

Yeah, right :confused::rolleyes:
An even better idea would be, if the people on here put half the effort in finding the right wife as they did in building the right speakers :D

You can't solve a woman's design issues with a man's logic, it just doesn't work. So you have to out wit her by her own rules..

Firstly draw up 3 sets of plans, the first one that you present you know she will never accept in a million years. The second set is much smaller but still not going to get acceptance as it is still way too big, and the third set while being bigger than she wants is far closer to her design goal that any of the other designs...

So instead of taking it from an angle where everything is bigger than her ideal size, and she is never going to be happy, come from the other direction where she might accept something bigger than she originally intended, and be half happy about it.

Second method is to do a TARDIS on the speakers... Through just design alone make them look smaller than they really are. A white speaker might visually look smaller than a black speaker of the same size, blend it into what ever it is going to sit on, make a stand for it and use the stand cavity to increase the size of the speaker without it looking like a bigger speaker.

Thirdly if the reason she wants the small size is because it's cute... you are never going to talk sense into this sort of woman, but you can lure her with a different kind of cute. Make your slightly bigger speaker but give it some cute factor that you know she will like, and I bet a lot of the whole small size limitation just disappears, after all this kind of woman will is easily distracted by shiny beads.

I bet she would go out looking for a compact car and come home with a full sized sedan because the red matches her lipstick perfectly. There is no male logic to be found so don't bother looking for it.

(Figure this problem has long since been resolved but worthwhile advice for future builds).

Hmmm...

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-06-09 at 8.40.30 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-06-09 at 8.40.30 PM.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 368
It came to me in a dream . . .
This a design for stereo system.
Build an enclosure of about 1-2 liter in volume.
Two 3" drivers on the side in each enclosure with a (neo)tweeter on the front that covers around 4-5 KHz on up. The 3" drivers will radiate pretty much in all directions I think around 4-5 KHz. You might not even need cross-overs on the 3" drivers, just a shallow one on the tweeter and an L-pad.

5.1 system with 3" drivers might be better or simpler, but it's more speakers/cables to mess around with.

Two 3" drivers mated with a subwoofer will of course mean low volume levels or high cross-over.

You can actually do two 3" drivers per enclosure with two speakers and a subwoofer, but I would make them like Bose drivers, so that they swivel. This should really minimize your lobing and high frequency beaming issues.

Now that I think about it, I like the latter design better. Just make sure you make them swivel.

Last edited:
before this post was somehow reserected, there where no replys since 2006

Was it my fault :D;)

I'm actually going to build my own Bose-beater :D

I got tried of big over complicated speakers.

I had a Bose cubes and sub system once when I was a teenage for about 30 minutes before returning it. I mean it sounded pretty awful, but it wasn't terrible. Unless you consider those synonyms :confused: But on the plus side it should be pretty easy to "beat."

You definitely need to make it swivel though. This should negate the lobing/beaming issues one might have. Seems like there are some good 3" candidates for this. They have a kind of rising SPL once they star to beam. Just listen to them both of them 10-20 degrees off axis, so have them around 20-40 degrees with respect to the other driver in that speaker (or set of attached speakers).

If you don't care for high frequencies much this could be a pretty good compact setup, I think. I don't stress about accuracy of sound production much. I like systems that sound the way I like them to sound, especially with lots of tight bass and ability to go loud.

My idea of a nice 2-way is 3" drivers with 15-18" woofers. But I don't have room for pro woofers playing up to 400-500 Hz, so I'm going with the Bose-beater. I might add a tweeter though. I want to look at small speakers in my small apartment ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.