Design a Bose-beater - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2005, 01:03 PM   #51
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Dave:

Size has a great deal to do with how much you are going to get out of the system, but so does enclosure type, etc. Which leads to drivers with different Q's, and all the rest.

I do think it is incumbent upon you to tell us the size of the Bose satellites, and the bass module, so that we may make a fairly good guess at what is just "a little bigger" than the Bose model, but which might well have real sonic advantages due to better design, etc.

I do have in mind something a little bit bigger that would be able to output significantly more-that IS the main problem, right? But I have to get a good idea of how large the satellite may be.

If you have to put the project on hold until you find out, so be it. Because until we can get some definite limits on size, we're all just throwing out generalized ideas of units that would be useful in enclosures of "small" size-"small" meaning in reference to 1 cu ft or so.

Perusing some specs here, I think I might be able to come up with something that would give significant benefits over the Bose satellites that is a 4 inch cube on the outside. I would hope for a little bit bigger, but taking a quick guess, I think I can do it with a 4" cube-don't hold me to it, it's just preliminary ideas.

But that is as far down as I can see the satellite going and still be part of a sound system anyone can term "reasonably good".

Don't forget the hifi world can stretch a far piece, and a little 1/4 cu ft speaker with a 5.25" woofer can still be considered a hifi speaker with a hefty price tag. Everyone knows that it won't pump bass with the big boys, but it can still meet a criterion that characterizes it as hifil

Similarly, I believe 4" cubes with a sub can meet a criterion that most would characterize as a genuine hifi sound system. Nothing that is going to pump out huge volumes of sound, but something that meets minimal standards for a hifi fan's AV system.

But first we have to know-how big can the satellites and subwoofer actually be?

For the satellites, I would suggest that you just mock up a cardboard-and-scotch tape 4" cube, and a cardboard 4" by 4" by 6" box, tell your girlfriend that you can make as sound system that will sound significantly better if allowed to make boxes such sizes, and get her ideas on it.
Old 28th March 2005, 02:40 PM   #52
tktran is offline tktran  Australia
Account Disabled

My Bose satellites are 3" x 3" x 5" (LxWxD). Two cubes on top of each other takes up about 6.5" x 3" x 5".

There, I said it. Yes I have some.

But they were lying in kiddie toy box, and i had to dig them out to just to measure them...
Old 28th March 2005, 02:51 PM   #53
bzdang is offline bzdang  Canada
diyAudio Member

Apparently ladies don't have the same fascination with pairs of round objects that we do, so if you can make the system unobtrusive, it will help. My 2 cents, use the Hi-Vi B3S or Aurasound NS3 and go shopping, find some very nice ceramic objects to hide them in. The appearance will matter much more than sound quality so don't sweat the volume too much. Dare I say that upfiring into foliage will aid dispersion? The sub can go in a found ceramic object too. Some BSC does wonders for the 'midbass' from the sats.
Old 28th March 2005, 03:37 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Dave,

First off, is this a system that you are going to listen to. If not I would just buy her the Bose system. Or if you just want the engineering challenge try to built something similar.

Now if you are also going to be using the system then there has to be a compromise that suits you both.

There are a couple of things you can do. But remember that to a woman the way it looks is more important than anything so if you decide that this is a system that you need to listen to there are two approaches. One make a system only slightly larger with a 4'' two way in small but maybe .1 ft boxes. Make some really nice finish and good looking unobstusive stands that blend it with the rooms decor.

You may also consider a very slim line array built of tang bend 2 or 3 inch wide range drivers. There is some guy dong this with good results.

The other thing that works well is to have all the audio gear in a closet instead of in the room on a rack. This leaves more space for her furniture and artwork and nick-knacks or whatever she has.

Also don't overlook the simplicity of the audio gear. This might be her main issue as the Bose is an all in one type of system.

The biggest problem with most of us guys is that we only think in terms of the engineering aspects. You must think in terms of the artistic integration first if you are to build something that she will like.

Hezz
Old 28th March 2005, 04:25 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Dave:

Need more info.

Are you doing a plate amp for the sub or will the crossover be passive? Are 2 subs possible?

How will the satellites be placed? Floor on stands, wall, ceiling or placed upon a piece of furniture?

Any chance of a photo of the end of the room where they will be placed?
Old 28th March 2005, 07:07 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Dave,

At the risk of more girlfriend counseling...

My wife said she wanted speakers "just like the cute little Bose cubes". After some panic, I pulled up Zaph's site, showed off his small speakers, and confessed,

"Dear, I'm afraid I'm just not good enough to build something as good as the Bose cubes. But I can build these, are they OK?"

Haven't done them yet, but they're On The List.

Good luck.

cheesehead
Old 28th March 2005, 07:24 PM   #57
bzdang is offline bzdang  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ain't it true that the real challenges of loudspeaker design are seldom technical !
Old 28th March 2005, 07:37 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

I regret saying that this is for my GF. Please let it go. Let's keep the subject on loudspeakers.

Thanks.
Old 28th March 2005, 08:19 PM   #59
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

FYI, here's a measured plot of an AM-15 from several years ago so it shouldn't be too hard to take a small hi-Q driver, stick it in whatever size cab you want, stuff it and aperiodically tune it to suit by gapping the driver away from the baffle. The sub can be a small BP or folded pipe using an Adire Extremis 6 or similar.

GM
Attached Images
File Type: gif bose_am-15_resgraph.gif (5.8 KB, 1252 views)
Old 28th March 2005, 09:27 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

Hey GM! Thanks for wading in. Can you elaborate on this part?

Quote:
Originally posted by GM

... stuff it and aperiodically tune it to suit by gapping the driver away from the baffle.GM
How does one "aperiodically tune it"? What do you mean by "gapping the driver away from the baffle"?

Thankee.

Hide this!Advertise here!