Design a Bose-beater - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2012, 02:11 AM   #221
diyAudio Member

of even better, put a pair of HUGE speakers in the room while she is out,
after she objects, after a judged perod owing to temprement whilst keeping in the safe non arguement one, reluctuntly agree there to big and say you will replace them with something smaller.
then replace them with your normal large speakers, they will seem tiny in comparison and she will think you have made a fair compromise.. which in reallity in my opinion it is. i mean a set of good sized, floorstanding speakers dont take up much space anyway....

if your a honest but slightly crafty person, like myself you should tell her this, but after a month or so..., when your both enjoying some nice music, and when she has become accustimed to the new "arrangement", after all relationships are bassed on trust and honesty, and sound systems are bassed on... well bass

problem solved

Last edited by WaVeInFoRm; 9th June 2012 at 02:17 AM.
Old 9th June 2012, 02:20 AM   #222
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaVeInFoRm View Post
buying a puppy on the day of implementation is sure to help...
For about a day. Then you know who does the walking, feeding and wait for it...

...the paper training.
Old 10th June 2012, 02:56 AM   #223
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaVeInFoRm View Post
of even better, put a pair of HUGE speakers in the room while she is out,
after she objects, after a judged perod owing to temprement whilst keeping in the safe non arguement one, reluctuntly agree there to big and say you will replace them with something smaller.
then replace them with your normal large speakers, they will seem tiny in comparison and she will think you have made a fair compromise.. which in reallity in my opinion it is. i mean a set of good sized, floorstanding speakers dont take up much space anyway....

if your a honest but slightly crafty person, like myself you should tell her this, but after a month or so..., when your both enjoying some nice music, and when she has become accustimed to the new "arrangement", after all relationships are bassed on trust and honesty, and sound systems are bassed on... well bass

problem solved
Yeah, right
An even better idea would be, if the people on here put half the effort in finding the right wife as they did in building the right speakers
Old 10th June 2012, 04:17 AM   #224
diyAudio Member

You can't solve a woman's design issues with a man's logic, it just doesn't work. So you have to out wit her by her own rules..

Firstly draw up 3 sets of plans, the first one that you present you know she will never accept in a million years. The second set is much smaller but still not going to get acceptance as it is still way too big, and the third set while being bigger than she wants is far closer to her design goal that any of the other designs...

So instead of taking it from an angle where everything is bigger than her ideal size, and she is never going to be happy, come from the other direction where she might accept something bigger than she originally intended, and be half happy about it.

Second method is to do a TARDIS on the speakers... Through just design alone make them look smaller than they really are. A white speaker might visually look smaller than a black speaker of the same size, blend it into what ever it is going to sit on, make a stand for it and use the stand cavity to increase the size of the speaker without it looking like a bigger speaker.

Thirdly if the reason she wants the small size is because it's cute... you are never going to talk sense into this sort of woman, but you can lure her with a different kind of cute. Make your slightly bigger speaker but give it some cute factor that you know she will like, and I bet a lot of the whole small size limitation just disappears, after all this kind of woman will is easily distracted by shiny beads.

I bet she would go out looking for a compact car and come home with a full sized sedan because the red matches her lipstick perfectly. There is no male logic to be found so don't bother looking for it.

(Figure this problem has long since been resolved but worthwhile advice for future builds).
Old 10th June 2012, 04:42 AM   #225
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hmmm...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2012-06-09 at 8.40.30 PM.jpg (79.5 KB, 334 views)
Old 13th June 2012, 08:47 PM   #226
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Hmmm...
reminds me of that Wall-E film....
Old 19th June 2012, 04:39 AM   #227
diyAudio Member

It came to me in a dream . . .
This a design for stereo system.
Build an enclosure of about 1-2 liter in volume.
Two 3" drivers on the side in each enclosure with a (neo)tweeter on the front that covers around 4-5 KHz on up. The 3" drivers will radiate pretty much in all directions I think around 4-5 KHz. You might not even need cross-overs on the 3" drivers, just a shallow one on the tweeter and an L-pad.

5.1 system with 3" drivers might be better or simpler, but it's more speakers/cables to mess around with.

Two 3" drivers mated with a subwoofer will of course mean low volume levels or high cross-over.

You can actually do two 3" drivers per enclosure with two speakers and a subwoofer, but I would make them like Bose drivers, so that they swivel. This should really minimize your lobing and high frequency beaming issues.

Now that I think about it, I like the latter design better. Just make sure you make them swivel.

Last edited by Jimmy154; 19th June 2012 at 04:46 AM.
Old 19th June 2012, 09:34 AM   #228
diyAudio Member

before this post was somehow reserected, there where no replys since 2006
Old 19th June 2012, 09:49 AM   #229
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Scared away the OP long ago, wondering whether the proposed system or anything like it ever got built. Sort of lost sight of the original question here...
I think he got confused on what to do and bought the bose in the end
Old 23rd June 2012, 07:51 AM   #230
diyAudio Member

How much is your budget for?

Hide this!Advertise here!