Design a Bose-beater - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th July 2006, 01:56 PM   #201
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 69stingray Send a message via MSN to 69stingray Send a message via Yahoo to 69stingray
Quote:
before the sub started falling apart
How did your sub fall apart??????
Old 8th July 2006, 02:24 PM   #202
diyAudio Member

Default cracked

It just cracked up along the edges of the box.But it didn't really matter, as it's now been bannished to the study.
I was actually thinking about rebuilding it, but it's just not worth the effort.
I realized that a major part of my job was to figure out how to use technology control to create economic force, or leverage, such that money and business flowed in Microsoft's direction” — Alex St.John, father of DirectX.
Old 8th July 2006, 05:15 PM   #203
diyAudio Member

When did they start making them in Mexico? My father in law bought a surround sound after the golf war at the PX or whatever and it acually still works. The remote has something loose in it, but it was made in the USA. If they are making them in Mexico and still charging the high prices they are, then no one should buy them, ever, no matter what.

It's possible you just got a bad one. The first sub I ever got was a Infinity BU-1. I just needed some low end to help with some polks I had. Anyway, that thing was repaired twice under warranty resealing the case. Good thing it came with a 5 year warranty on the driver and case. They finallly fixed it right and I use it to this day.
Old 16th August 2007, 11:38 PM   #204
peter_m is offline peter_m  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flaevor
...First, would your wife appreciate the effort you put into building them let alone the increased quality? If so build 'em. If not buy her the Bose, if that's what it is, that she wants. I have made the mistake of buying what I knew to be better when my wife wanted something else.

If you buy the Bose just make sure you repent and offer a sacrifice to the Audio gods.
Oh so true. I am single my self but I have observed closely the married couples around me... If you value your quality of life, you might end-up getting her the bose. (omission of capital B is intentional) Just ask her to read this first: http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

On a different note, you have some options: http://zaphaudio.com/ZBM4.html The advantage is you can choose finish and building material to better fit the room.

Also shop around for all the small 4", 2-way speakers you can find locally. Even bester if they are on sale. Listen to them compare them and return the one you don't like. After that you will only need a SUB and you will have saved about 50% of the price of the bose. (omission of capital B is intentional)

Communication is the key to a happy marriage!

Peter
Old 17th August 2007, 01:47 AM   #205
diyAudio Member

Did you buy a system yet?

If your other side wants small speakers, and HAS to have a pre-built system, look at Fry's of hifi.com

http://shop3.outpost.com/%7BUeox9phd...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Lots of packages are better then Bose.
Old 17th August 2007, 01:50 AM   #206
Bose(o) is offline Bose(o)  Canada
diyAudio Member

That link should be pissed on regularly, not used as proof. Neither of the Cons that the Intellexual site listed has good and scientific proof.
Old 17th August 2007, 05:23 AM   #207
diyAudio Member

It attempts to give your information about bose then bose does.

The full range drivers in the cube speakers can't cover that much frequency. At most, they might be 3" drivers. Even great 3" drivers can only do so much. Aside from the small drivers, the really small cube can't be doing the single full range driver either.

I'm by no means a speaker design expert, but every time I play with software and work with single drivers, I don't end up with a tiny stylish cube.

I enjoy using tang band drivers in some of my bed room and computer room projects, but I would never use small full range drivers to fulfill my HT or main room stereo needs. They can be fun, and even sound rather nice, but they can only do so much.
Old 17th August 2007, 04:06 PM   #208
epifant is offline epifant  Norway
diyAudio Member

Canton? Maybe not "hi-fi" enough for many in here, but they seem to have cut a lot less corners than Bose, compromising only little in size..

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 18th August 2007, 06:09 AM   #209
diyAudio Member

Well. I'd suggest the good old reliable Minimus 7's for this job. Find a set in good shape, do some cosmetic work if needed, and build a sub. While they're bigger than the bose cubes, they're still tiny, yet they do something bose failed to do, provide sound thats surprisingly big from a relatively small( still enough for the cute factor) speaker. The Minimus 7 can easily be crossed-over at 100hz, and if you want, you can do a crossover mod to the Mini 7 to make a speaker thats miles above the Bose sound even better.

Sometimes, the past can provide an excellent solution to a problem.

If the Metal Boxed ones are too utilitarian looking, go for the Wood Boxed ones. When cleaned up good they can look quite classy.
Old 4th June 2012, 02:07 AM   #210
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb831 View Post
Guys, you cannot be serious...

You're telling me that no matter what you do, you cannot design a system that completely owns Bose without going bigger?

Does this mean Bose is the best you can get for the size. Highly doubtful.
Asking that question here just doesn't work here. It took you 16 pages to figure that out. I could have told you that without posting, but I know these people more than I ever wanted to

Here's my idea. Focus on driver Xmax combined with radiating area.
You can cross-over a driver with 5 mm Xmax and 100 cm^2 at 100 HZ (12 db/octave) and still get pretty low to a sub, without much movement from the cone +- 1-2 mm. So for two 3 inch driver per channel (2 channels) with 5 mm xmax you have 60 cm^2, so go with 160 Hz (24 db/octave). Might want to build two subs, though

Hide this!Advertise here!