Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2006, 12:45 AM   #171
MPM is offline MPM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Depth Charge
Interesting that the Logitech system is THX certified but the Bose system isn't.

The THX certification is different for computer media speakers. Obviously not as stringent. But still it has to cost logitech some money to get Lucasfilms(or whomever does the certifying) to allow the use of THX on the speakers. I'm sure there is still a certain minimum they have to perform up to.

FYI - Those specific speakers are from the now discontinued Z-560 speakers. Was originally a 4.1 setup. The sub was also very good using an 8" TB speaker.
Old 22nd March 2006, 02:37 AM   #172
diyAudio Member

talking about the THX logitech speakers, I noticed that Alesis also have the same model but sells it at a higher price under their own branding.

How about Klipsch? They also have THX for computer speakers... and also the Megaworks THX from Creative...
Old 22nd March 2006, 02:58 AM   #173
diyAudio Member

not sure i understand this thread i have read most of it but it seems to me that there is no way anyone is willing to compromise sound to develop a cube of a 4 inch nature. The development of a Art style or even a little bit bigger design seems so much better. Theres a reason a cube of such small dimensions cant/shouldnt be reproduced wouldnt you say? Just my opinion but then again what do i know. lots of fine smallish designs out there.... those TB speakers keep showing up? are they any good?
These are a cool smallish speaker anyone ever looked into this design? http://www.timn8er.com/aural_imaging_tb3_surround.htm
Fellow DiYer?

(shameless i know
)
Old 12th April 2006, 10:26 PM   #174
miko25 is offline miko25  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to miko25
Default Any improvements on beating the AM-15's?

Hi guys, any improvement on beating the AM-15's from BOSE?
Old 12th April 2006, 10:37 PM   #175
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Most every speaker made by the people on this sight is an improvement over Bose AM systems. What question are you asking?

Bose has shown us quite nicely why you don't put little drivers into little boxes. That is done to deal with WAF.

WAF = the biggest single obstacle to the quality of sound reproduction.
Old 13th April 2006, 12:22 AM   #176
Bose(o) is offline Bose(o)  Canada
diyAudio Member

I hope you're seriously joking. I mean, Logitech computer speakers better than the Companion 3 speakers from Bose? HAHAHH! Funny stuff.

Go ahead, measure the frequency repsone of the C3 from Bose and you'll be surprised, surprised as to how well they measure. Now, of course they aren't the be all-end all, but are a far above electrical device than Logicrap. Sure, the TB speakers are the best part, but the power supply, amplifier, EQ (if any) is inferior to Bose's by a factor of 500.
Old 13th April 2006, 12:34 AM   #177
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Are Logitech speakers made by the diyer's on this sight?

Or did you skip over that part of my statement?
Old 13th April 2006, 04:14 AM   #178
Andy G is offline Andy G  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Companion 3.

Same price as Acoustimash + 2 cubes.

Almost certainly the same speakers with different clothes..

And someone is trying to tell us they sound even remotely good ??? LOL !!!
Old 13th April 2006, 06:22 AM   #179
Bose(o) is offline Bose(o)  Canada
diyAudio Member

I spent 6 months of research and listening and the usual brouhaha when purchasing commercial speakers. After taking apart Logitechs, Altec Lansings, Klipsch, Bose, etc, etc. Bose had superior electronics layout and components in regards to the above names minus Klipsch. The Klipsch are well put together also.

The C3s use a torroidal transformer with two taps (something like 14V and 30V, I forget exactly), for capacitance, a single 30,000uF cap, the layout is very neat and well engineered. And the sound, well, usual sealed/vented enclosure. Once I optimised the enclosure's position in the room to activate the right resonances, it sounds very good and is commonly mistaken for an all-out home stereo/theater. Though, it doesn't have the magical beauty and intimacy of my Open Baffle loudspeakers, it does work and whilst studying my engineering books, I can thank the C3s for saving me DIY time.

So, where were we again?....gotcha'!

Regardless, the system has high WAF and that is what we want. Now, if you look in my previous posts you'll see that I've undertaken this project myself. However, as partial as I am to open baffles, I will be implementing open baffles for at least the mid-range. And, considering the system isn't for me (I'm a stereo supporter) the 'bass' section will most likely be some sort of sealed/vented enclosure.
Old 13th April 2006, 06:30 AM   #180
Andy G is offline Andy G  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'm afraid that having heard several Bose system, I take the opinion of anyone who say they actually like them, as a few grains of salt rubbed into a wound. !!

ie , you is fooling yourself dude !!!

Hide this!Advertise here!