Design a Bose-beater - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2006, 04:56 AM   #141
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
I tried the Hi-Vi 3" (single worked better than two, though less output) as satellites along with the tangband 8" subwoofer. I used Zaph's crossover design for the Hi-Vi-3's. I had to make a few adjustments since remember we're talking about putting this 3" into a small cube. Mine is 4"x4"x4".

In short:

400Hz and up is very impressive, the Hi-Vi 3" is an amazing bargain. Great transparent midrange and treble with electrostatic-like speed.

80Hz and below is also very good from the tangband 8" sub. A very good sub for small ported enclosures. I can cross it over higher than 80Hz but I don't want it to be directional.

100-400Hz is boomy and distorted. Sounds like a balloon being rubbed the wrong way. On many songs the experience was spoiled by this boominess in this region.

So it improved upon the Bose and it still has the characteristic Bose sound. Basically a Bose with better clarity in the mids and treble. So I declare the project a failure and the BOSE CLONE challenge is passed on to the rest of you...

Edit: Hi-Vi is good to 300Hz rather than the 400Hz I mentioned. But it remains that it is crap below this line, causing a lot of problems.
Old 22nd February 2006, 12:56 AM   #142
epifant is offline epifant  Norway
diyAudio Member

Ok, I haven`t read all the pages in this thread, so with the possibility that they have been suggested before:

Click the image to open in full size.

Go get her some Gallo Nucleus Micro`s. They are still a compromise over bigger boxes, but she WILL love them. And for your own piece of mind; they aren`t Bose
Old 22nd February 2006, 01:50 AM   #143
Bose(o) is offline Bose(o)  Canada
diyAudio Member

The key to getting good sound from small speakers is in the electrical design parameters. You'll also need to remember that in 'small' rooms (Where the FSroom>=20Hz.) large speakers are required for better sound. Small speakers have high amounts of dispersion and in frequencies beyond their operating range, high distortions. This is key to the design of the system. Also, remember that you are able to design the system FOR the room it is intended for and I highly recommend determining suckouts, spikes, etc.

Personally and from experience, I'd recommend, just as others have, to use small drivers but in parallel. This will severly limit the amount of excursion that takes place and thus reducing distortions immediately. I also recommend active cross-overs, phase correction, and any acceptable amounts of equalization. This can be done affordably with some Burr-Brown op-amps and some LMXXXX kits from www.chipamp.com. As for enclosures, I'd only use OB baffles as the clarity and correctness outweighs any defficiency in dynamics.

As far as bass drivers go, you can opt for a large driver that requires a small enclosure (~30L.) and provide it with ample amplification. I wouldn't worry about going very low as ~50-60Hz Fc is good enough and sometimes preferred for the casual listener.

I know I'm late....give me freaking bone!

Recommended driver
Old 22nd February 2006, 05:33 AM   #144
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
how about using a 3" driver with 27mm of excursion! That's more than most subs!
Old 9th March 2006, 04:10 AM   #145
diyAudio Member

Guys, you cannot be serious...

You're telling me that no matter what you do, you cannot design a system that completely owns Bose without going bigger?

Does this mean Bose is the best you can get for the size. Highly doubtful.
Old 9th March 2006, 03:36 PM   #146
synergy is offline synergy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

just read the whole of this thread and unless i'm going blind i can't believe no-one's mentioned the Jordan JXR6
Old 9th March 2006, 06:15 PM   #147
epifant is offline epifant  Norway
diyAudio Member

JohnnyB: I think the whole question needs to be turned up side down. Why should the "Bose-size" be the thing to beat?

Throughout this thread it has become clear that a much better sound can be acchieved if just a little bigger box size can be tolerated. The extremely small Bose enclosures has to endure a whole lot of compromizes, and while they look good, the sound proportionally worse. The simply has to, at that size and with the solutions chosen.

The answer then has to be: do not choose to do the same wrongs as Bose. Choose to do the rights Bose didnt`t

Old 9th March 2006, 08:24 PM   #148
diyAudio Member

Default What Bose-size Really Means

Bose-size means that the subwoofer (if you can call the typical Bose 5.5-inch driver a subwoofer) will not cover much below 50 Hz and extend up to 200 Hz or so. Also Bose-size means the satellites roll-off below 300 Hz so the 200-300 Hz area is not covered with their sub/sat systems. And don't count on any treble above 13 kHz or so. You can read about the only test data that I have seen published (plots and summary table originally printed in the August 1999 Sound and Vision magazine) on a Bose sub/sat system at the link.

Bose Speaker Details

Most people with any clue should realize what is missing.

Jim
Old 10th March 2006, 05:05 AM   #149
diyAudio Member

I think that it is fair to say that in the end it is unwise to copy a Bose design.

Why seek to emulate something so poor a sound/price value as the Bose speaker systems.
Old 10th March 2006, 08:54 PM   #150
diyAudio Member

Think about it, the consumer demand for something small and stylish grows every year. Imagine creating something and competing directly to Bose. The only reason people buy Bose is because they love the tiny little speakers that take up no space in their house and allow them room for other things.

Obviously its difficult to achieve sound out of something so small, but its difficult to say in order to beat it, you have to go bigger. I'm a big-time Bose-hater, but its difficult to say to a consumer "they're bad quality because they're so small". To them, it's a compromise.

Here is an article that posts the specifications of the lifestyle system.

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

I would also like to mention that the satellites are 0.4 litres.

Hide this!Advertise here!