Design a Bose-beater - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th April 2005, 12:09 AM   #121
diyAudio Member

Ok. Not an expert, but have thought these were interesting since I first came across them. Haven't had an exscuse to make them though.

http://www.partsexpress.com/tech/269-680.html

The only problem is modeled in a 0.05cuft sealed box F3 is around 140. But, with 0.25in stock you can get 4.5x7x4. Although that doesn't compensate for drivers or crossover. Probably too many compromises for a $600 budget, but might work for some one on a $300 budget for 5 speakers, and who doesn't want to design their own crossover.

Put a ported box of the same size in the simulator. Very strange graph, but maybe it could hold up down to 100Hz. Of course now you have to compensate for the port volume, and it is a lot more sensitive to volume changes.

Just another drop in the bucket.

Don
Old 5th April 2005, 12:30 AM   #122
diyAudio Member

The Adire Koda 8" could be used in an 8" cube, one way x-max 12mm.

Better than Bose????
Old 5th April 2005, 01:58 AM   #123
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Alll good suggestions

Here's mine, a 6.5" Tang Band from Parts express for $41.45

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-832

The suggested by Parts Express size of a sealed enclosure is .15 cu Ft
which is 260 cu in which is barely big enough to enclose the driver.
Is this correct? If so, the box could be 7.5x7.5 x 7" tall with 1/2" MDF
Its x-max is over 11 mm

Is this box size correct? anyone want to calc it using the other parameters?
Old 5th April 2005, 03:27 AM   #124
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Variac
Alll good suggestions

Here's mine, a 6.5" Tang Band from Parts express for $41.45

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-832

The suggested by Parts Express size of a sealed enclosure is .15 cu Ft
which is 260 cu in which is barely big enough to enclose the driver.
Is this correct? If so, the box could be 7.5x7.5 x 7" tall with 1/2" MDF
Its x-max is over 11 mm

Is this box size correct? anyone want to calc it using the other parameters?
The B-se subwoofer has a box that's about 1cu ft! Getting the sub that small is no trick. That's why I've been discussing the satellites almost exclusively.
Old 5th April 2005, 04:44 AM   #125
diyAudio Member

Dave,

Have you ever checked out the more expensive Bose sattelite combo just to see how they're made. I don't know if they still make them but they used to have a model in about the 1000 - 1200 USD price range. The sattelites were actually smaller than the model your looking at and although not high end were significantly better sounding.

Hezz
Old 5th April 2005, 11:25 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Jones
How about the crossover? Using one of the itty bitty speakers (whichever), the xover will be in the 125 to 180Hz range, one would imagine. If the little speaker (JX53 maybe) has no high pass filter on it, will it beat its poor little self to death trying to play notes below its tuning frequency? Will it produce a lot if IM distortion with no high pass filter?
Set the speakers to small and use the amp xo to active sub? If you went with dual subs (hmm, maybe integrated into the stand bases...) you could somewhat alleviate localization probs...
Old 6th April 2005, 12:36 AM   #127
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Dave:
I think that in order to proceed, you need to decide if you are going to have a sub for each channel and if you can be assured that each sub will be close the satellite (probably attached) In that case you can cross the satellites over at 150hz. Otherwise (if you have only one sub and it isn't going to be between the satellites) you need to cross them over more like 100hz or less. I think that you will always want to cut off the lower frequencies from the satellites.

From other threads, it seems that the jx53 will be of interest to you , and probably useful for other projects if this scheme blows up in your face (figuratively speaking ) I don't know much about it , but it seems to me that it will sound a lot better handling only 150hz or above. Doesn't seem like a 100 hz. device....

Dastardly :

With Vance Dickason designing them I suspect that this combo
is as advertised: kicks butt on cheapo HT systems. Prob of interest to lots around here.
Old 6th April 2005, 08:48 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Variac
Dave:
I think that in order to proceed, you need to decide if you are going to have a sub for each channel ...
The object of the game is to design a system that has the same footprint as the B-se AM-15. That's one sub.
Old 6th April 2005, 08:50 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hezz
Dave,

Have you ever checked out the more expensive Bose sattelite combo just to see how they're made. I don't know if they still make them but they used to have a model in about the 1000 - 1200 USD price range. The sattelites were actually smaller than the model your looking at and although not high end were significantly better sounding.

Hezz
I haven't seen the piece of cheese that's under discussion advertised for less than $900. $1000 to $1100 is typical.

http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_...15+Series+II+W
Old 6th April 2005, 09:34 PM   #130
indoubt is offline indoubt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Dave, I dón't know wheter it is stil valid, I jumped from page 10 to here.

I'm currently investigating the possibilities to build small speakers for a friend. He will use them in his boat and size is important. He cannot use in wall or in ceiling and size is at a premium. He is sound minded(owns expensive B&O gear at home) and would have gone the computer gear way (logitech)with tears in his ears.
After investigating a dozen speakers the most likely candidate is a new unit from Peerless, the "HDS 106 exclusive" I can fit it in a two liter bass reflex cabinet and it will play down to 80-85Hz (F3). This frequency is important to integrate with a small sub (8")

I havent figured it all out but combination with a Vifa ringradiator (done that before with an Peerless HDS 134) or with a Seas KTN25F (48mm dia) seems the most likely option.

If you want I'll keep posting here whenever I make progression.

Make the cabinet "artwork". It will for sure compensate for the size intrussion if you still keep em modest. Besides that: most women, once they are notified of the differences, like good sound as well.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!