Dynaudio XENNON 2 DIY kit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2005, 06:41 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dynaudio XENNON 2 DIY kit

Hi,
I'm looking for informations about crossover scheme and cabinet details of this kit from Dynaudio.
Is this a system with variovent port or a closed box?
Can everybody help me?
Have you ever listened it?
Thanks in advance for your informations (and sorry for my english )

Massimo
Old 18th March 2005, 09:25 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Xenon 2 is 2 way variovent system using the 24W-75 woofer and a D28-AF tweeter.

I'm not sure if I've hear it, but I probably did some years ago.
I can't remeber ever hearing a bad Dynaudio kit.

I assume you access to the drivers, since Dynaudio no longer sells to the DIY market any longer.

Do you have schematics? If not I have them.
Old 19th March 2005, 01:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Arthur, if possible, i am very happy if you send me all your informations about this project (crossover scheme, box measures...).

Thanks again, regards

Massimo
Old 19th March 2005, 04:34 PM   #4
Zaph is offline Zaph  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't remember there ever being a Xennon 2 but I know there was a Xennon 3. I built a pair once. If that crossover helps you, let me know. I have a Madisound catalog from many years ago that had details on all the Dynaudio kits.

Unlike Arthur-itis, I have yet to hear a Dynaudio system that is truly first class. (I've heard many comercial Dynaudio speakers also) I don't miss Dynaudio drivers now that they are gone. There are better drivers from Seas, Vifa and even Peerless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg audio-speaker1a-small.jpg (53.4 KB, 773 views)
Old 19th March 2005, 08:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zaph
I don't remember there ever being a Xennon 2 but I know there was a Xennon 3. I built a pair once. If that crossover helps you, let me know. I have a Madisound catalog from many years ago that had details on all the Dynaudio kits.

Unlike Arthur-itis, I have yet to hear a Dynaudio system that is truly first class. (I've heard many comercial Dynaudio speakers also) I don't miss Dynaudio drivers now that they are gone. There are better drivers from Seas, Vifa and even Peerless.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I built the TWYNN kit and I thought it was an ecellent speaker system, is this one that you heard?

I think it's nearly imposible to build a kit using Dynaudio drivers that is anything but excellent. The TWYNN was desgned by Joe D'Appolito, I don't know about who designed the others.

Which ones have you heard?
Old 19th March 2005, 08:16 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zaph

Having just visited your web page and looking over some of your beliefs about audio, I can say that we are in agreement on everything except the sound of Dynaudio speakers.

Some time back the BBC did DBT's on many speakers to update their speakers used for monitoring. Dynaudio systems became their reference.

If you've never heard a Merlin VSM, I would recomend you do so, they use the T-330D tweeter and the Scan-Speak 18W8545(IIRC), midbass. At $5000.00 they are over priced IMO, but still one of the best sounding 2 way systems I have ever heard.

My main complaint about Dynaudio systems was their lack of efficiency, but the D-28AF is still one of the reference tweeters ever made IMO, although the Scan Speak and SEAS models are also excellent.
Old 20th March 2005, 03:35 PM   #7
Adrie is offline Adrie  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Dynaudio drivers are available for DIY

http://www.remo.nl/
http://www.speaker-en-co.nl/default.htm
Old 20th March 2005, 04:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I dont think zaph has any problems with dynaudio tweeters, its the poly cones that wont shape up. Dyns have excellent motor systems and low distortion so the only thing left is the poly cones presentation.
Old 21st March 2005, 09:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks to everybody for your messages; truly i look for a 2 way speaker system with the following characteristics:
1)2 way system
2)Closed box

Now I listen to with a pair of KEF LS3/5A (modified in some particulars), but I am not satisfied because the frequency response is too limited and there isn't dynamic; however I am very happy for their performance with woices and small jazz band...
A competent italian technician (and music lover) has advised me the 2 way XENNON 2 from Dynaudio, but I did not find much about this project, so i wrote to diyaudio...

Have you some interesting project with the characteristics above to advise? I need a closed box system because speakers are close to the wall (I had for some months a Dynaudio LS5/12A, but their played not good in my room).

I can buy dynaudio speakers, this fact is not a problem for me, but I would be sure about the project...
Thanks again, regards
Massimo

Hide this!Advertise here!