Huge price differences for SEAS drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I've searched vendors that sell the speakers for John Krutke's Seas L15RLYP / 27TFFC system. He writes the complete set of drivers can be purchased for about $160 total, so I was surprised to see the prices in Europe: the L15RLYP woofer costs
- 89 EUR at clofis.nl
- 77 EUR at intertechnik.de
- 59 EUR at audioxcel.com
- 51$=38 EUR at madisound.com
As it seems, prices are higher the closer you move to Norway, where Seas is located. In the Netherlands, you pay more than twice as much in the US - this is weird. I don't think it's because of VAT only. I'm gonna ask customs if I better import them from madisound.

Cheers,

Boris (Germany)

In the Netherlands, you pay more than twice as much in the US - this is weird. I don't think it's because of VAT only.

The US seems to be a special case, same reason that german cars are less expensive in the US than in the country they were made...
But the Dutch have very stiff VAT rates...on cars it's something like 30%, could be the same on everything that's imported....like drivers from Norway for instance.

rgds
Oliver

Hi,

the 30% is only for cars. The normal VAT (we call that "BTW", and that doesn't mean By The Way) is 19%.

I will not post the reason for the high price here in this site; I'll PM BorisH, since some people in Holland don't like me for telling that.

Grtz, Joris

I think its bad to sell at different prices no matter what country the product is in, this makes each customer feel cheated.

I think in the US market the buying power is hugh so they manufacturers sell there products off at large discounted prices and have less countrol over the RRP because of compitition maybe?

The sad fact of the matter is that the ability to buy and sell in volume makes a huge difference in the price you are able to sell for, along with the market influences of supply and demand. There is huge competition among manufacturers in the US. Just about everyone trys to sell their product here making the competition fierce.

Is the US market that bigger than theEuopean market? Can't somebody in Europe buy in large enough quantities to offer prices similar to those in the US?

I know taxes do contruibute but here in Britain certainly there is an attitude that you charge what you can get away with and the customer be damned! :(

Nuuk said:
I know taxes do contruibute but here in Britain certainly there is an attitude that you charge what you can get away with and the customer be damned! :(

You know your right Nuuk; they call the UK "Treasure Island"

I was at a car expo in the UK just 2 weeks ago and the big brands to the little brands almost all said the same thing, charge what ever you can get away with!!! What kind of morality is that? Is a sign of the times.

I went along just to see if there was anything special but it was almost all junk and worse than the products of some 10 years ago.

It’s disgusting the way the consumer gets treated in the UK and these companies are box shifters and don’t care about the art of sound, which is what DIY audio is all about.

This is best forum on the internet for honest decent advice from all over the world :)

No, I'm suggesting there may be more DIYers in North America along with more choices of drivers for DIYers. Most every guy has a workshop around here. Obviously, this is just speculation. If it's true that may explain why sellers feel they can charge individuals more in Europe, however, manufacturers of complete systems would still be able to negotiate prices.

Nuuk said:
It would be interesting to know the figures but I would guess that Europe-wide there are an awful lot of us messing around with hi-fi.

As Paradise_Ice saw when he came here, this is a rip-off society.

There's even more tinkering with the economy in Europe, not to mention that most European governments never met a tax or a regulation they didn't like.

Things tend to cost less here because there are fewer taxes.

Paradise_Ice said:

You know your right Nuuk; they call the UK "Treasure Island"

I was at a car expo in the UK just 2 weeks ago and the big brands to the little brands almost all said the same thing, charge what ever you can get away with!!! What kind of morality is that? Is a sign of the times.

I went along just to see if there was anything special but it was almost all junk and worse than the products of some 10 years ago.

It’s disgusting the way the consumer gets treated in the UK and these companies are box shifters and don’t care about the art of sound, which is what DIY audio is all about.

This is best forum on the internet for honest decent advice from all over the world :)

The fact is that all merchants charge as much as they can get away with. They do this in a free market until somebody sells it for less and they have to lower their prices. Then the competition for customers causes prices to come down, the customer benefits.

Yes there is something about buying in larger volumes. Buy enough of them and that $80.00 tweeter can be had for $20.00

Europeans have yet to learn well enough that all those services they want require funding that has to come from somewhere.

In some cases of course, it's just snobbery, like the gas taxes being high in the UK being partly to keep the poor folks off the road so they don't bother the rich.

Arthur-itis said:

The fact is that all merchants charge as much as they can get away with. They do this in a free market until somebody sells it for less and they have to lower their prices. Then the competition for customers causes prices to come down, the customer benefits.
Europeans have yet to learn well enough that all those services they want require funding that has to come from somewhere.

In some cases of course, it's just snobbery, like the gas taxes being high in the UK being partly to keep the poor folks off the road so they don't bother the rich.

Arthur the fuel is expensive in the UK because the goverment raised the price just before the Gulf war and forgot to bring it down afterwards and now again, the fuel prices will go up again because of more fuel shortages and it wont come back down again, i dont honestly believe its to do with keeping the poor folks of the roads.

Europe as a whole has high taxes but this is a good thing to a point, my uncle lives in California and worries all the time about his kids educations and health care and all sorts of things that we in the UK and most of europe take for granted on the whole.

I still dont think its right to charge what ever you can get away with, its wrong and i wont allow anybody that buys from me to make up what ever prices they will, they must hold to my RRPs or the lose the account, simple as that.

Paradise_Ice said:

Arthur the fuel is expensive in the UK because the goverment raised the price just before the Gulf war and forgot to bring it down afterwards and now again, the fuel prices will go up again because of more fuel shortages and it wont come back down again, i dont honestly believe its to do with keeping the poor folks of the roads.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm going by what has been said by former Brits. You don't really believe they "forgot" to lower the price, do you? The price of oil is due to the law of supply and demand and taxes. Right now the Chinese are are major factor in demand. Taxes is a whole other issue. Still our gasoline is $2.35 per gallon now, which is an all time high.

Europe as a whole has high taxes but this is a good thing to a point, my uncle lives in California and worries all the time about his kids educations and health care and all sorts of things that we in the UK and most of europe take for granted on the whole.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fact that he worries should be viewed as a good thing and shold help him keep an eye on how his school is doing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Britain have a voucher type system for schools? Many people especially lower income folks would love to have something like that here, but the left headed by the Teachers Unions oppose it tooth and nail, because it would probably mean their demise.

As to insurance, count me among the people who don't have enough, but don't expect my fellow citizens to pay my way. Any time you go through the government, there's a loiss in revenue and efficacy, through transfer costs and sloth.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still dont think its right to charge what ever you can get away with, its wrong and i wont allow anybody that buys from me to make up what ever prices they will, they must hold to my RRPs or the lose the account, simple as that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only way to stop it is to interfere in the right to do business, nobody is forced to buy at the price being asked. If sales suffer prices come down, unless you in Germany where prices are fixed, IIRC.

The only way to stop it is to interfere in the right to do business, nobody is forced to buy at the price being asked. If sales suffer prices come down, unless you in Germany where prices are fixed, IIRC.
[/B]

Yes Arthur, i was being light hearted when i say the goverment forgot to lower the price of course, they are of courses thiefs in black hoods and stealth tax the poor at ever corner.

I think we are forced to buy many things at fixed prices like Gas, electricity, water and so on, i would like a system that was fair and just based on quality and value, an even playing field for everybody no matter what country they live in.

Arthur-itis said:

If sales suffer prices come down, unless you in Germany where prices are fixed, IIRC.

What on earth gave you that idea? Prices are fixed only for books only, for historic reasons. The reasoning was that books are considered a cultural good, and that small publishers and small bookshops should not be driven out of business from excessive competition. Thus, the publishers set the price, and every shop (even amazon) is forced to sell at that price. You can argue about the validity of this, but the last time a saw a comparison, there were about three times the number of titles in print in Germany than in the US, which has 4-5x the population. Paperbacks are also typically 20%-30% more expensive in the US, which is actually ok considering that many titles need to be translated, that the printing volume is smaller and that paper and print quality is usually higher.

Also, I can call my village bookseller in the afternoon, and he'll have any in-print book from any major publisher delivered from the wholeseller to his shop before noon the next day at no extra charge.

There also was a law that merchants could give no more than 3% discount on advertised pricing. The reasoning was obscure, and it was legally ok to call it recalculation instead of discount, so the law was disbanded a while ago.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.