i"d like to built 3 way kit with FOCAL AUDIOM - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2002, 12:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: israel
Default i"d like to built 3 way kit with FOCAL AUDIOM

has anyone heard a 3 way kit with Focal Audiom drivers?
my speakers are Sonus faber extrema and i want more bass
and naturality....
so i"m thinking on 13" woofer, 7" mid and a tweeter

thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2002, 02:18 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Peter Daniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Go with high efficiency woofers which come in 12" or15" sizes. http://zalytron.com/ carries lots of kits using Audiom drivers.
__________________
www.audiosector.com
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2002, 03:08 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Mars
www.e-speakers.com

Andre is very knowledgable and can
recommend various kits for your
taste in music. He carries only the good
drivers, that is what make his site different
from Zally and madisound.

He has Focal and PHL kits.. Give the
PHL drivers a test drive, they sounded
better to me than focals, but focals
are very nice too. It depends on taste....

I would seriously think about using
ribbon tweeters, ie, raven 2, ESg3, etc.

My favorite tweeter lies here.
http://www.stageaccompany.com/cdload.html

Once you hear this beast, nothing else matters.
worth the $600 ea. price tag.........

I have five of them, gonna get 3 more.. making a semi-line
array project, very ambitious......
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2002, 04:11 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Peter Daniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I didn't see any Focal Audiom at http://www.e-speakers.com/, while Zalytron is major Focal distributor for North America, carrying whole Audiom line.

I've got 4 PHL 1230 mid woofers, are they really so good? I got them in storage for last 4 years and didn't have a chance to check them out yet.
__________________
www.audiosector.com
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2002, 06:24 AM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Mars
I tried PHL 1120, 1660 and
the 2520 8" driver.

I'm gonna use the 2520
because it mates perfect
with my ribbon.

Other midrange drivers
that auditioned for my project
and didn't make the cut (lol);

Focal 7k2 - fine speaker that just
got beat out slightly by PHL.

Focal (Utopia) 6W (new stuff) -
Barf....... gag..... Focal 7k2 beats
this one, same price.

Audax PR170M0 - great midrange, low
price. Actually, this is an amazing
performer for midrange only sound
quality. For the longest time, it
was winning my auditions, but
due to low x-max and my high
power desires, I picked PHL 1120
over PR170M0 due to higher x-max. (similar speaker, same person designed both)

PHL's 1120 - Excellent midrange
quality, similar to PR170M0 above,
better if higher power is going
be used, if not, use the PR for
1/2 the cost.

PHL 1660 - while the 1120 has
a better upper midrange (weaker
lower midrange), this driver seems
to have a better low end midrange,
but slightly less in sound quality
over 1120.

PHL 2520 (the 100db sensitivity)
monster. You really need a high
output tweeter to mate with this
driver, it has a nice "in your face"
dominating midrange quality
for people who like to be punished
by the music.. and it sounds excellent.
The other PHL drivers are more "open", perhaps giving you a wide
sound stage for people who don't
like the "in your face" music.

Summary. The SA8535 + PHL 2520
is awesome combo. 103db tweeter
sensitivity, 100db midrange sensitivity, how can you lose?
I can power this setup with just
my "Sony Walkman" AND able
to run my ADCOM 555II mono
without a hickup..... I like
this setup so much, I'm gonna make
a semi line array. 4 mids, 4 ribbons,
two 12's, one 18" PER channel....

Wish me luck, I'm going in the poor
house with this adiction to audio....

P.S. Only high sensitiviy drivers
were invited...
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2002, 07:28 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally posted by thylantyr
Audax PR170M0 - great midrange, low price. Actually, this is an amazing performer for midrange only sound quality. For the longest time, it was winning my auditions, but due to low x-max and my high power desires, I picked PHL 1120 over PR170M0 due to higher x-max. (similar speaker, same person designed both)
Did you get to compare these to the paper cone PR17?

Aside: I used to use a pr of them in horns of my own design for PA work. No problems gettin' em to play loud. I still have a pr down in the lab -- been aging now for 20 years. I do need to build something with them.

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2002, 08:06 AM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Mars
PR170M0 *is* the paper cone version.....
at least the one I got - hehe
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2002, 08:47 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally posted by thylantyr
PR170M0 *is* the paper cone version.....
at least the one I got - hehe
right you are. The XO is the TPX one. Mine are from a time before TPX.

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 05:50 AM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally posted by thylantyr
I tried PHL 1120, 1660 and
the 2520 8" driver.

I'm gonna use the 2520
because it mates perfect
with my ribbon.

Other midrange drivers
that auditioned for my project
and didn't make the cut (lol);

Focal 7k2 - fine speaker that just
got beat out slightly by PHL.

Focal (Utopia) 6W (new stuff) -
Barf....... gag..... Focal 7k2 beats
this one, same price.

Audax PR170M0 - great midrange, low
price. Actually, this is an amazing
performer for midrange only sound
quality. For the longest time, it
was winning my auditions, but
due to low x-max and my high
power desires, I picked PHL 1120
over PR170M0 due to higher x-max. (similar speaker, same person designed both)

PHL's 1120 - Excellent midrange
quality, similar to PR170M0 above,
better if higher power is going
be used, if not, use the PR for
1/2 the cost.

PHL 1660 - while the 1120 has
a better upper midrange (weaker
lower midrange), this driver seems
to have a better low end midrange,
but slightly less in sound quality
over 1120.

PHL 2520 (the 100db sensitivity)
monster. You really need a high
output tweeter to mate with this
driver, it has a nice "in your face"
dominating midrange quality
for people who like to be punished
by the music.. and it sounds excellent.
The other PHL drivers are more "open", perhaps giving you a wide
sound stage for people who don't
like the "in your face" music.

Summary. The SA8535 + PHL 2520
is awesome combo. 103db tweeter
sensitivity, 100db midrange sensitivity, how can you lose?
I can power this setup with just
my "Sony Walkman" AND able
to run my ADCOM 555II mono
without a hickup..... I like
this setup so much, I'm gonna make
a semi line array. 4 mids, 4 ribbons,
two 12's, one 18" PER channel....

Wish me luck, I'm going in the poor
house with this adiction to audio....

P.S. Only high sensitiviy drivers
were invited...

How's your Focal 7K2 doing after all this time?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS 2- Focal Audiom 6WM Midranges 6.5" NEW mp006ltk Swap Meet 1 15th February 2008 07:40 AM
Looking For Focal audiom 7k2 or focal 7k6411 jasonyap Multi-Way 0 29th March 2007 07:46 AM
WTB: Focal & Audiom & Volts 11", 12", 13", 15" woofer gengis Swap Meet 0 17th March 2005 03:29 AM
Focal Audiom 6WM + Raven R1 sardonx Multi-Way 11 25th June 2003 06:47 AM
Focal Audiom Drivers seangoesbonk Multi-Way 7 23rd September 2002 10:41 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:53 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2