Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th March 2005, 07:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Newby with Nautilus 805's wants to upgrade.

Hello,

I have posted for the first time on audiocircle regarding the DEQX and 805 and would like some additional component input here.

I am thinking of upgrading my 10 year old system with a DEQX preamp/processor. I am planning to pull my 805 61/2" midwoofers to get at the crossovers to unhook them to allow the DEQX to do its thing. While I have the midwoofs out, should I go ahead and upgrade them to something else? Seas excell 18's, Eton's, PHL, Accuton, other? Or should I just stick with the OEM mid/woofs?

I realize there are many parameters I should consider, but I had hoped someone may have already tried doing something like this and could save me some time. I do not know the internal volume of the 805 nor do I know the specs for the original tweeter and woofer. The woofer is kevlar with a plastic phase plug.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 16th March 2005, 07:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Stick with the B&W mid/bass - its specifically tailored for that cabinet volume and port tuning.

Anything else and you could effectively be downgrading the sound.
Old 16th March 2005, 08:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did note upon inspection of the just released 805 S version, that B an W switched out the old 805 mid/woof to one in which the phase plug is fixed to the cone. It looks identical to the old one upon casual inspection, but if you tap the cone, the phase plug moves with it. So, that sort of got me thinking about swapping out the old unit. Not sure if I could get the new one, or even if it represents an improvement. The 805 is a fairly unusual, front ported two way design.

I also noted that with the 805 Sig version, that B and W, among other things, swapped out the standard plastic phase plug with one that was made of aluminum. The 805 Sig received nearly universal praise from the popular press and apparently represents a step up in performance over the standard issue 805.

I am hoping to bring my 805's to the next level with the DEQX plus another amp for the tweets. I do realize that the OEM mid woof was tailored to the cabinet, as are all higher end designs. However, it seems that there have been some recent advances in 6.5 inch drivers. Your point is well taken, though. I would not want to spend extra money for new mid woofs and end up with less than I started with!
Old 17th March 2005, 01:12 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Once you have your DEQX up & running and have listened for a few weeks, go have a listen to the latest B&W 805 and see how it compares. I'd like to hear your review.
Old 17th March 2005, 07:54 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I removed the mid/woof of one of the 805's last night. The driver was manufactured in 1998 an looked and felt fairly substantial. The internal bracing is impressive as well. The guts are stuffed with custom cut, high quality, soft foam.

As an aside, I discovered that all the woofer screws were very loose. I had not checked them for quite a while and I'm now glad I did.

After disconnecting the crossovers, would you remove them from the cabinet or leave them in place? They aren't huge, but they do take up space in a small cabinet.

Would you hardwire the tweeter and woofer directly to their corresponding external terminals and then use standard speaker cable from the amps to the terminals, or would you hardwire the drivers and run the cables directly out a well sealed hole drilled into the back near the old posts to the amps?

The first way would allow the most flexibility, but the second way seems to make the most sense electrically/sonically.
Old 17th March 2005, 10:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Only problem if you drill the cabinets is you'll have a job selling them to most people.

Unscrew the rear terminals and hopefully the connection from the rear of the banana's aren't soldered but nice and easy to remove spades or maybe blade connectors.
If this is the case then you'll just be able to unplug remove the crossover for safe keeping and then make some runs of cable, fitted with spades, from the drivers to terminals.

That way in the future you can easily return them to stock and no-one will be the wiser.

If this isn't possible then I'd personally desolder the connection from the terminals and do everything else as suggested above.

Hide this!Advertise here!