finished WM-61a measurement mic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So it's finally spring break. :dead: :D

I assembled a measurement mic based on Linkwitz's mod (site here ). Works pretty well from what I can tell... I haven't taken any measurements with it though. I should have it plugged into speaker workshop and measuring my pair of John Krutke's Vifa XG18 MTMs soon (hopefully) :angel:. The capsule itself is heatshrinked and stuffed into the end of a bic pen. Total cost of parts was around $15. :cool:

Here's a pic (sorry it's a little fuzzy):

Attachments

• dscf0003.jpg
    dscf0003.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 705
and here's a picture of the protoboard.

There's one thing I don't quite like however. The mic is very noisy when I turn up the gain up high enough that I can actually here myself talking into it. I understand that the mod is supposed to lower the sensitivity of the mic so it's better suited to SPL measurements, but I'm quite surprised by how much it lowered it. I'm not sure whether it's an issue with the microphone, or if it's the mixer's fault (Behringer MX-602A ). It seems to me that I'll have to drive the speakers pretty hard in order to take any measurements with it... though I can't say for sure since I haven't tried it yet. Perhaps someone else who has built this mic can comment? :confused:

For reference, I am using the (b) modification on this page. I've got 3 24g wires that run from the capsule to the protoboard, and an 8ft long 1/4" patch cable that runs from the board to the pre.

Attachments

• dscf0009.jpg
    dscf0009.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 644
Hello,
some times ago I made a simple comparison between different class microphones. I measured the frequency response of the same loudspaker with these mics:

- BRUEL & KJAER 4190 (very expensive)

- Sennheiser electret capsule KE-4 (around 50$, discontinued)

- Panasonic electret capsule WM-61B (around 2$ or less)

View the results (very good for the WM61) here:
Mic comparison

In my tests I connected the WM61 following the manufacturer suggestions and not the Linkwitz's mod.

Bye

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.