My FE206E BR floorstanders up and running - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2005, 11:08 PM   #1
luigi is offline luigi  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Talking My FE206E BR floorstanders up and running

FWIW
I just part finished my BR FE206E floor standers, though in hindsight may have cocked up the calculations. I thought that a volume of 45L and a port of 3" was needed, but evidently this was for some other Fostex driver!

Nevermind, because they sound alright straight off anyways. A little bass shy of course, as the drivers are new. And a bit shrill, but I love what these do for imaging (only in the hotspot) and staging. Surprised at how much treble they generate too.

I will now sit and wait for them to run in, which some reckon takes up to 1000hrs.

Some reckon it is worthwhile physically modding the driver to improve its upper frequency extension, and reduce the sizzle. I have heard of a golf ball mod (though when I put a golf ball into the whizzer cone, it seemed too big for this application) and a ping pong ball mod both of which have me but are possibly worthwhile.

Im wondering whether anyone can post images on what the procedure involves. I can see the dustcap and screen, both of which need to be removed carefully to avoid ruining the driver. Apparently - and you have to love this one - people are now using tubes for as a wave guide. How cool is this

Anyway, at some point soon I will carpet the lower section of the speakers, so they dont look so much like a bathroom oddity. Painting PVC is a bit of a nightmare. At least in my experience. Anyone know whether you can actually paint PVC properly, and with what?

The speakers in behind are the Adire HE10s I put together, junking the standard yuk tweeter for a fostex FT17H, which improved them out of sight. But still not a patch on the full rangers. These too use a PVC cylinder. I can't buld boxes for crap.

Luigi

Hide this!Advertise here!