d-s-t merged with Tymphany, Peerless HDS, CSX sandwich membranes discontinued

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
http://www.d-s-t.com/main/main/newsarc/merger.pdf

They call it merger but barely disguise that the investor behind Tymphany (a startup that is not even shipping products yet) has bought d-s-t.

Does anybody know about the ownership of d-s-t (stock owned by few or many investors) and financial status?

Peerless, part of d-s-t, announced the XXLS subs a few months ago and new HDS models with Nomex and plain PP cones two weeks ago. Looking now, lots of classic series woofers, a few tweeters and all of the regular HDS series as well as the CSX parts (i.e. everything with sandwich polyprop) have been discontinued.

Generally, companies aren't for sale unless they are having financial trouble. I also wonder about D-S-T. They are probably getting their *** kicked by China based companies who manufacture at a fraction of the cost. Over at Parts Express, how many Dayton RS speakers are being sold compared to Vifa, Scan Speak or Peerless? That whole mindset extends into the commercial loudspeaker business.

Tympany probably wanted to own a production facility rather than outsourcing to Chinese. This would give them more control over the final product. With unique products like that, keeping trade secrets is important. D-S-T gets a new unique product line that only they will have, and financial backing. So this works out well for all of them.

Ken Kantor is one of the few speaker industry guys I have respect for. In fact the last commercial speaker I bought (many years ago) was NHT.

Peerless must have a lot of faith in Nomex cones. I'll have to give one a try when they come out. It's about time they clean out some of their ancient products however. I think the Vifa line needs revamping too. The days of the $40 poly cone speaker designed 20 years ago are over.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Well, the diy business is apparently just a small part of the speaker manufacturing business, so their decisions are based on what manufacturers want, not what diyers want.

The diy business might also be getting somewhat more discriminating. For instance, The CSX line was basically similar to the HDS line only with stamped baskets instead of cast baskets.

I believe that poly as a cone material is not as highly rated now as it was in the 80's, anyway.

A speaker manufacturer from India said that Peerless was already outsourcing it's smaller drivers to India and China. He gave guides on how to tell the difference between Chinese, Indian, and Danish made drivers.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=26583&highlight=

noodle_snacks said:
I am curious about the new nomex coned woofers, I can get the ones from the exclusive series for only about 20% more in cost than the old sandwhich cone HDS woofers.

Has anyone built anything with them or tested them at all?

If so what are your first impressions?

Can you really get them over in the UK already? The two primary North America vendors (Solen in CA and Madisound in the US) are not due to get them in for a couple months yet.

ShinOBIWAN said:

Its been a long time since Australia was a British Colony ;)

:eek: Oops, I glanced to quickly and assumed he was from the UK. Seems like there's more folks on this forum from the UK than anywhere else. In any case, now I know he can't get them. Australia is practically off the map for speaker distribution, at least according to some guys from down under that I previously chatted with.

but why the CSX? i was under the impression that they were state of the art drivers?

are scanspeak untoutched by the merge?

I just hate it when good solid european companys get pushed out of the loop due too cheap crap chineese stuff.
but thats the world of capitalism. i better get used to it.

I guess SEAS is next now eh? :whazzat:

From the horse's mouth....

Ken Kantor is heavily involved in Tymphany, can't remember his exact position, but it is right up the top, he may even be THE BOSS !

the following is a direct quote of a post by him on the Mad Bored.

"Hi, Dave. Many thanks to you, and others here. Both companies really see this as a "strength + strength" deal, and are excited about the future.

I love DIY, as do the engineers and sales people in Denmark... it's why I stop by Madisound often. No reason for that to change, its good for business and fun. What more could you want?

Of course, product lines do evolve in response to market and technology conditions. Witness the new Peerless line mentioned here (which has been in the works even longer than the merger).

The key thing is that the company will always be mindful of making top quality products available to the person who wants to experiment and build on their own.

Ken Kantor"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.