ar.com or Krutke's silver flute

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been looking around for a diy speaker design to make for my first one and have narrowed it down to the ar.com, from madisound, or John Krutke's silver flute. I need help comparing them.

I'd like to get your opinions of these two based on your experiences with them or what you've heard from someone who has.

I have seen stuff on the silver flutes on here but was not able to find anything on the ar.com with a search.

Other info about listening & future hopes:
I'll be listening to 65% music and 35% movies. I live in an apartment, so it's not a big space. I have thought about making some type of OB or dipole woofer later to fill in the bass, but that will have to wait along with measurement equipment and software and tools. If only I had a money tree out back and didn't need to sleep, I'd be set :D to many things to do, not enough time

thanks for any feedback
Brady

I own a pair of ar.com speakers i am very happy with them, had them for 3 months and still get impresed with them when i listen to them. The highs are very clear and pleasing to the ear not overpowering, very good mid range clearity, you will need a sub but to start can go with out, they seem to be sensitive to room placement but after spending some time setting them up i am very happy with them. I listen to all kinds of music, they realy shine with music that has a lot of vocals at least to me, i can't compare the 2 for you but i feel they are worth the money, by the way my reciver is onkyo txsr602, cd/dvd player onkyo dvcp702 and for a sub polk 10" that i had in a car with a riythmik 250w amp hope this helps

If you get the AR kit, be sure you get an updated crossover. The design has serious problems. You might search around on Madisound, this subject comes up now and then there. There are a few designers who fixed the problems with this kit.

No offense to rj11c. There's a lot of people happy with this kit but from experience it's hardly the best choice. The problem is with the tweeter, and the crossover's inability to tame it's low end response. (a common problem with most Peerless tweeters) The original design also has very poor phase tracking.

If you like the 6.5" peerless csx woofer, consider Wayne J's Peerless design. It's way better, and he offers a choice of tweeters to use. (I would chose the Usher I think)

With my Silverflute design, if you want to keep it under $100 a pair, this is the one for you. But if you budget gets around $150 or so, there's some better sounding choices with higher quality drivers, like my L15 system for example.

I was aware the ar.com has an updated crossover, thanks for making sure I was aware. Building a metal cone speaker for about the same price as the ar.com is more appealing to me, especially if i've allready built a softer type cone speaker. I'm looking forward to hearing a good metal cone speaker, but I haven't found any DIY events in Oklahoma or this area yet.

For the first one I'll go ahead and finish my parts list for the Silver Flute and a pair of speaker stands with it. I'll post my parts list with cost once it's done in case it would be of help to anyone else.

Has anyone heard or know about the quality of the Peerless tweeter 811678? I have some spec info, but don't know if it actually sounds good and the fr plot. I've searched the internet, but no luck. I found a pair for a good price, I think. Thought I would use instead of the D27 on the silver flute. There is no back chamber, so I was thinking of sealing the tweeter from the rest of the box and compensating the depth of the cabinet to maintain volume.

26mm (1.05") silk dome
damped acoustic pole chamber
aluminum voice coil former
under-hung voice coil geometry
Nominal Impedance: 6.4 Ohms
Sensitivity: 92dB
Fs: 900Hz
FR: 1800-20000Hz
Power: 120w RMS/160w peak

Thanks for the feedback.
Brady

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.