Line array tweeter line - On left or right? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2005, 04:11 PM   #1
dhenryp is offline dhenryp  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Line array tweeter line - On left or right?

For a line array with a tweeter line next to a mid/woof line, which side of the baffle should the tweeter be; on the outside (nearest the wall) or the inside (nearest the center of the room)? Or, maybe it doesn't matter?

For some reason, I've always assumed the tweeters should be nearest the center of the room but I've recently seen examples of both ways.

One more array question; how come you never see arrays with the tweeter array set back to time align with the mids? Is it just too hard, or are there performance reasons?
Old 9th March 2005, 05:05 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
I'd put them on the sides closer to the center although I don't have a scientific reason for doing so, although putting them on the outside may accomplish the distance differential you were looking for with countersinking the tweeters.

As far as counter sinking the tweeters for time alignment: First small shallow woofers are used, so the difference is less significant than with speakers using large woofers. Also, since they are mounted side by side you will have a difference in any listening position except dead center. While the above make it less advantageous, the main reason is probably because everyone is already tired of making holes, so why go to all that extra effort and risk messing up the baffle by counter sinking tweeters that are so close together. There's probably nothing wrong with doing so, but IMO it's not worth the effort and risk for an array.
Old 9th March 2005, 08:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'm doing my array with the tweeter near the wall, midrange
near the center of the room. Then rotate the speakers towards
the listener.

One more array question; how come you never see arrays with the tweeter array set back to time align with the mids? Is it just too hard, or are there performance reasons?

Time alignment is overrated. Do your own time alignment test
and tell if you can hear 'inches' from a reasonable listening
distance.
Old 9th March 2005, 11:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

"Time alignment is overrated. Do your own time alignment test
and tell if you can hear 'inches' from a reasonable listening
distance."

Hmmm, I do have other experiences with this.
My latest project will have "time aligned" speakers, a 3/4 inch is audible AND measurable (-3db dip at the x/o point !).
In my case this was not due to bafflestep or any other thing related to cabinet design since the tweeter (a magnetostat with a 4" long membran) won't "see" the 6" woofer thats sticking out beneath it. Also, that magnetostat will be in a small enclosure that stands on top of the cabinet.
With a normal dome tweeter you WOULD have other problems that relate to the cabinet design, reflexions are one of the problems you will run into.
In a few days I'll be ready to show some pics, so you can see the design yourself.
Old 9th March 2005, 11:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Line array tweeter line - On left or right?

Quote:
Originally posted by dhenryp
For a line array with a tweeter line next to a mid/woof line, which side of the baffle should the tweeter be; on the outside (nearest the wall) or the inside (nearest the center of the room)? Or, maybe it doesn't matter?
It mostly depends on asthetics, but sometimes the crossover is tweaked to alter the directionality of the lines.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Hide this!Advertise here!