may PLOP sound damage speakers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2005, 11:05 AM   #1
keyser is online now keyser  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default may PLOP sound damage speakers?

Hi all,
I've got a Behringer cx2310 active crossover. I use it to cross @ 300 hertz (same frequencie as the original passive crossover) between the low section an mid+high section of my Canton RC-L speakers. De mid to high section is still a passive crossover.
When I press the on/off button on my crossover, it gives a PLOP sound through the speakers. I guess this is a short DC signal. I'm not really worried about blowing the woofers, but is it possible that it blows the midrange unit?
Old 9th March 2005, 11:09 AM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Probably survive, but it's very bad practice not to turn on amps last and off first.
Old 9th March 2005, 11:12 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
When I press the on/off button on my crossover, it gives a PLOP sound through the speakers. I guess this is a short DC signal. I'm not really worried about blowing the woofers, but is it possible that it blows the midrange unit?
That depends on the waveshape (i.e. spectral content) and power of that plop.

When you run an active system get yourself used to switching everything ON by starting with the source(s) and switching OFF by starting at the power amps. This is in fact good practice for other setups as well.

Regards

Charles

Hide this!Advertise here!