2x Vifa M17SG-09-08 + ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am planning a project of high quality A/V speakers. I have already bough 4 Vifa's M17SG-09-08. Now I am thinking about possible tweeters.

I have the following requirements:
- possible to cross around 2-2.5 kHz
- forgiving to bad signal (PC) but showing the difference when better source is used
- sensivity at least 90dB
- not very expensive
- shielded

Myself, I was thinking about Vifa's XT25, XT19, a couple of Seas drivers or the neodyme Morel 40 and 44.

I wonder what would be your recommendations?

paulspencer: Thanks for your coments. I also have heard a lot of good things about the Seas tweeters.

Still the most interesting question for me is:

Which tweeters would have a chance to forgive a bad quality signal (PC), while offering good sound when fed by a good source? Do you have any experiences like that?

In other words you want a tweeter that is a little forgiving, not a high revealing resolution tweeter. Sounds to me like a case for a soft dome tweeter. IME treble is more forgiving when the top end rolls off a little. I use eq so that at my listening position the treble rolls off, tapering down from 1.5k down to 20 k where at the top end it is -2.5db. I find a lot of lesser quality recordings are a little bright and have some treble added to vocals, which is annoying. You may find a pad on the tweeter reducing its level by say 2db will help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.