A question about building a sealed box (acoustic suspension). - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2005, 04:03 PM   #1
piro is offline piro  Israel
diyAudio Member

Default A question about building a sealed box (acoustic suspension).

I have the math I need in order find the box volume, but I'm not sure whether the actual dimensions are of importance (the hXwXd).
I have gathered that they shouldn't be equal to or whole multiples of one another, but I don't know anything else besides it.
ideas anyone?

TIA,

Jonathan
Old 8th March 2005, 05:00 PM   #2
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

It really doesn't matter much - contrary to what the beginner books say - especially once you place damping material inside. It is much more important where you place the drivers on the baffle.
Old 8th March 2005, 05:27 PM   #3
piro is offline piro  Israel
diyAudio Member

could you be a bit more specific?
Old 8th March 2005, 08:51 PM   #4
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Baffle dimensions and driver placement on the baffle affect the diffraction of sound as it reaches the edges of the baffle. When the sound wave reaches a change in the space it radiates to, it reradiates. It is best if these reradiations do not occur all at the same time - worst case a circular baffle with the driver at the center of the circle.

Search for baffle diffraction with Google - you will find a few articles and a few simulators - one a full-featured excel spreadsheet I had a small hand in and one a simpler standalone program by a person (Svante) who frequents this board.

these baffle diffraction effects are much more prominent than box shape related effects inside the box.

Hide this!Advertise here!