Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2005, 03:59 AM   #1
uzziah is offline uzziah  Norway
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to uzziah Send a message via MSN to uzziah
Default price/performance speaker cables

looking to put together some good speaker cables to connect my sonic impact t-amp (soon to be modified) to my paradigm titans. i'm thinking something to the effect of 14-16awg silver plated copper teflon wire. thoughts?
Old 8th March 2005, 04:30 AM   #2
simon5 is offline simon5  Canada
diyAudio Member

Zip cord will be fine.
Old 8th March 2005, 04:40 AM   #3
homer09 is offline homer09  Canada
diyAudio Member

you will get a million different opinions on this. just try a few different types and then tweak the one you like best until your satisfied.
Old 8th March 2005, 05:06 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I second the zip cord motion.

I tried some other speaker cable one night and when I woke up the next morning my amplifier was gone.
Old 8th March 2005, 08:16 AM   #5
Gregm is offline Gregm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Try single core wire. The easiest to find and experiment with are enameled pure copper wire (typically 0,8 or 1,2 mm, depending upon the current flow) or the wire you suggest (although combining metals creates potential which may or may not suit your purposes). I hope the latter isn't going to set you back millions, btw -- if so, I withdraw the recommendation.

I would avoid multistranded zip cord as there is access to other wire that's also very cheap.
BTW, a good commercial cable is Nordost Valhalla. It's low iductance, lowish capacitance, thin ribbon conductors, teflon dielectric. At EUR: 3000 it's a steal

If you don't like it, you can always offer it to yr SO; it's more expensive than lots of jewelry out there
Old 8th March 2005, 04:51 PM   #6
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I just don't get how people can spend a lot of money on something like cables. Have you run out of money for important things like better drivers, crossovers or cabinets? You know, things that can make a big difference?

I use 10 ga. 64 strand high purity copper that cost 40 cents a foot.

Anyone want to put their boutique cables up against mine? You'll either laugh or cry depending on your perspective.

Cal
Old 8th March 2005, 04:55 PM   #7
DonoMan is offline DonoMan  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DonoMan
I use cat 5
Old 8th March 2005, 05:14 PM   #8
protos is offline protos  Greece
diyAudio Member

I second the recommendation for enamelled thin copper magnet wire.Just get some decent size spiral wire wraps to thread it through for protection and add some decent connectors because the bare copper ends are going to tarnish and break when you use it often .For low current (15-20 watt amp + efficient speakers)you can use as low as .375 mm which is better.Don´t worry -I have compared it with my own MIT Shotgun 750 ( 1500usd !!)cables and on many points it was actually better sounding.
Another option is thin copper tape as adhesive type or on some air core chokes (eg Goertz)which is also very good sounding and has good bass. There is some extra hassle to make a decent looking cover for it.
Otherwise the next level up is the same but in silver.
Personally I don´t like the sound of multicore types.
Old 8th March 2005, 05:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Try and obtain a 50 foot interconnect from a GPU used to power a DC3. It contains four runs of welding cable with a copper cross section the size of your thumb and half a million fine strands so that it is really flexible. Take it apart and make your own phat cables. If not that then #16 or #14 zipcord works just as well too.
Old 8th March 2005, 06:55 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by protos
I second the recommendation for enamelled thin copper magnet wire.
I used that for years on low power systems and it stood up well to a lot of expensive cables. I'm lazy and have tons of C5 so that's what I use a lot of the time.
Quote:
Another option is thin copper tape as adhesive type or on some air core chokes (eg Goertz)which is also very good sounding and has good bass.
But beware that a lot of amps oscillate with more than short runs of the stuff. I reckon it sounds awful.

Hide this!Advertise here!