Design for Audax HM210ZO/Seas H1212

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I built The KLS9, but had to replace the audax tweeters due to damage.( Now using Seas H1212 Tweeters/Audax HM210ZO )
I am not happy with the mid clarity of this set up, i am using a LFD Mistral amp / cd player.
My room is 11 feet x 12 x 9H
Maybe smaller cabinet, new xover design,, driver alignment?
Any ideas.
Clifford

HM210Z0

The audax you have is a fine sounding driver, but the rolloff may not be as benign as "mr.kls9" sez it was.
When substuting tweeters, the chances for excessive overlap, hence peakiness, are high. Actually the 210Z0 has a peak at 2900 Hz or where ever that rolloff starts. And the Irst order tweeter doesnt help that at all.
The simplest solution would be to apply to Madisound for one of their crossover designs ($25!!!) They'll have both of those drivers in their database.
You should end up with 4Th order L-R slopes at a crossover point somewhere in the 2's--- this will relax the tweeter to a major degree so it won't spazz out in the lower frequencies--something the original design definitly had the un-chambered 25 M0 tweeter doing!
beyond that, insertion of a midrange cone driver, and a ground-up crossover revision would do the trick, but you'd have to cut into the cab., and the complexity & price would be quite something. DP

Mine was a 2nd order linkwitz riley with a xo point at 2200hz . I found some peaking around 2300 area and my friend suggested we lower the xo point to 2000 or 2400. By adding a 2.2uF capacitor to the tweeter the problem was no more. The speaker have been serving me well. They just are a NON tiring speakers. And not found to be dull either. Infact a beautiful balance. Id just like a little bit change making it a bit more detailed in the highs and lows with better crossover design n parts. Ill share soon the pictures of the amateur crossovers i made .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.