Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2005, 11:14 AM   #1
cliffy is offline cliffy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Design for Audax HM210ZO/Seas H1212

Hi,
I built The KLS9, but had to replace the audax tweeters due to damage.( Now using Seas H1212 Tweeters/Audax HM210ZO )
I am not happy with the mid clarity of this set up, i am using a LFD Mistral amp / cd player.
My room is 11 feet x 12 x 9H
Maybe smaller cabinet, new xover design,, driver alignment?
Any ideas.
Clifford
Old 7th March 2005, 11:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default HM210Z0

The audax you have is a fine sounding driver, but the rolloff may not be as benign as "mr.kls9" sez it was.
When substuting tweeters, the chances for excessive overlap, hence peakiness, are high. Actually the 210Z0 has a peak at 2900 Hz or where ever that rolloff starts. And the Irst order tweeter doesnt help that at all.
The simplest solution would be to apply to Madisound for one of their crossover designs ($25!!!) They'll have both of those drivers in their database.
You should end up with 4Th order L-R slopes at a crossover point somewhere in the 2's--- this will relax the tweeter to a major degree so it won't spazz out in the lower frequencies--something the original design definitly had the un-chambered 25 M0 tweeter doing!
beyond that, insertion of a midrange cone driver, and a ground-up crossover revision would do the trick, but you'd have to cut into the cab., and the complexity & price would be quite something. DP

Hide this!Advertise here!