DDD bending wave driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anybody have experience with the German physics DDD bending wave 360° driver? Seems to be similar to the Manger, only that in addition to working down to 80 Hz, it'll also radiate at 360°. Their homepage is full of self-hype and a few Japanese awards. Points for one of their finished speakers in German Stereoplay magazine are ok but not spectacular, especially if one considers the outrageous price (1500 Euros for a single driver, about 2500 Euros for the simplest DIY kit).

Eric

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
DDD stuff

Eric,

I don't own them, but at one time had the privelege to listen to them at the designers' place. This is maybe 8 or 10 years ago and I must say we discussed mostly the technical aspects of the driver. For me this was a cut or two above *normal* driver technology.
That said, what I remember from the listening sessions was the absense of any coloration I could detect, plus the incredible resolving power. I remember to literally hear the singer on a CD moving to and from the mike a couple of inches during the performance, something I don't remember having heard since. Being omnidirectional drivers, some care must be taken not to place them too close to the back (and side) walls to avoid too many reflections.

Cheers, Jan Didden

This driver looks very interesting. I wonder if it still possible to get it.

Has anyone had experience with this driver in the mean time?

Even the price is quite steep it might be interesting to use it as an augmentation to 3x8 OB GR Research Servo sub in Open baffle. A single driver which is almost full range than just cut from 200Hz down to Servo sub. Tempting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.