Calculating the Q value of a cabinet...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Newb here.

I've read that you can't just hookup a crossover to some drivers and throw em in a box; the box has to have certain dimensions. I've heard this referred to as the "Q value." How is this calculated?

I read somewhere that you should use the golden ratio to avoid negative sound effects: multiply the middle dimenion by 1.61 to get the largest and divide the middle by 1.61 to get the smallest. Is this correct?

I haven't been talking to people who live in Classified since they ran me out of town last year but . . .

There is some truth in your post but not enough to make it valuable to you.

I suggest you get a book. There are several books by David Weems that cover the basics. If you want to get further into it, The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook is an excellent choice.

If you are a masochist, you can spend countless hours on the internet looking for the information but you will have to sort through the bull. But, you don't know enough to tell the bull from the real deal so I suggest the books.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.