wood veneer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i had to remove the plastic veneer do to damage. now its just mdf
is wood venner anygood? and how hard is it to install? what other types are there?

Attachments

• mvc-091s.jpg
    mvc-091s.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 355
Self adhesive veneer is one way to go as mark mentioned. The other way is to use standard wood veneer and apply some sort of neopren glue to it as well as to the enclosure. Let it dry for some 15 minutes and then put the veneer to the enclosure using ironing method. It works fine. Watch out for bubbles.

Iron to apply veneer with contact cement!!!!

Most of this idea is good. You really can apply veneer with contact cement. But using an iron is not something that I would reccomend to a first timer. It may help in some way but I'm hard pressed to see how.

A way that will work is to make yourself a rubbing stick. Which is shaped like a large paint brush. You round over the "brush" end so that you can apply pressure to the surface of the veneer without damaging it. Then you rubb or push as hard as you can on the surface of the veneer so that the contact cement (that is dried on both of the surfaces as per manufacturers instruction) can come into intimate contact. ( Put your sub in a dark room and wait for the baby subs ):D :eek:

I sugest that you try latex based contact cement on a test piece and get a feel for it before working on the sub. Better to make your mistakes on something that you can throw away:att'n:

Mark

When using paperback veneer and contact cement I've found it beneficial to coat both surfaces (veneer back and MDF) with contact cement, dry it completely with a heat gun or hair dryer, then apply a second coat and drying it completely before attaching the veneer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.