tragic loss of mdf...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
w00t! my hivi b3ns came in the mail today!!!!! i was sooooooo freaken excited to see these things show up at my doorstep...i fired up the table saw and started cutting everything to find that i forgot to tighten something on my table saw and now EVERY piece of wood i just cut is completely useless....:bawling:

on the plus side, pvc that is 3" in diameter and has 1/4" this walls is PERFECT for these things...i know that i'd have some issues as using them in these for mains but for some rear TLs....

even the lip on the side hangs over absolutely perfectly...

Yeah...know the feeling. I pulled a similar move a couple days ago but lost no MDF. I won an NHT 1259 at FL DIY and had gone to Lowes to buy my MDF. As I was sliding the first sheet out the truck, my wife was standing next to it, and the MDF slipped from the back of the truck and slammed down on her foot...and the poor thing was only wearing flip-flops. OUCH!!! Luckily, no broken bones, just a sore foot and a nasty bruise for a couple days. I guess I had forgotten just how much a sheet of that stuff weighs.

Anyway, good luck with your second try.

weeeeee!

i was sooooo freaken distressed over this...my poor b3ns had no place to call home:bawling:

but alas, i'm freaken retarded...instead of bein gcut smaller the pieces expanded due to some pieces of the saw moving out of place...a quick check to make sure everything was at least a little bigger then the normal measurements and i was set to go...

i just trimmed off the excess mdf and the enclosures are being glued as i type....

and i did measure twice...more than twice...it was the simple fact that i'm st000pid and forgot to tighten an adjustement on the saw....

Moving holes

What I hate is having to move holes that were misplaced due to measurement error. I've got this great MTM front panel with a fairly complex, diffraction reducing, shape and with the tweeter hole about a half inch low of the center point between the midranges. I think I'll re-attach up the lower edge with mini biscuits and gorilla glue and re-drill.

I know the feeling, same thing happened to me when i built a small bandpass box, i dident use any electric tools tho, all pieces got cut all wrong:( two sides had to be redone in plywood. The finished result was the worst built box i ever seen, none of the sides were cut straight so there were openings about 3mm between sides. The next box i made cutting the sides with an old carpenters hand saw went as close to perfect as its possible to do with hand power, almost no planing at all was required:) I still havent sanded and painted it.

You can re-attach the cut-offs

I usually order my MDF pre-cut. Imagine my dismay when discovering I was one piece short!

No problem- I was able to glue two pieces of scrap wood edge-on to make a larger piece, then only needed to trim off one end (luckily).

So, if you're desperate, you could try re-attaching your cuts. Just remember to clamp it well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.