PAudio LF driver, any thoughts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for a decent, quick, efficient, low frequency driver to be used from around 100hz (or 150) or so down to take the load off of my full rangers. I've seen people recommend Eminence, etc, but came across the PAudio drivers. They have what appears to be a decent 12", cast frame, binding posts, reasonable Qts, etc. I'm wondering if anyone is familiar or could offer any thoughts. Thanks!

http://www.speakercity.com/paudio/challenger/c12300mb.shtml

That driver looks like it's aimed at PA applications, with the Fs of 42hz and sensitivity of 97+ dB. You could probably cross it over above 500hz, but it would probably start dropping off in the bass as high as 40hz. (I haven't time to actually model it in WinISD, sorry.) Running a driver only from 40hz to 120 seems a bit of a waste to me...

For your application, you'd probably be better suited to a driver with a lower resonant frequency and more excursion. You would probably have to trade away some efficiency in order to get this. Look around for home audio subwoofer drivers, like Adire drivers, or the Titanic subs at Parts Express. You might find they suit your application better.

P audio Drivers

Hi I have heard good reports on the P audio BG (Bad Guy series)
Especially the Eight inch. Guess the 12 inch ones would be
good too. IMHO i like the idea of 4x 8inch drivers in push-pull
series parallel. I am doing this with an 80 lire cabinet but with Heppner drivers also from Speaker City in Sunny California from a
long way back. PAudio seem to be an interesting outfit with
some solid design ideas.

Regards

AnthonyPT

Well, if I still need a sub, I'd only like to use it at the lowest freqencies. A regular sub driver won't be able to keep up with the Fostex driver, which is why I'm more interested in pro audio type of driver. They're more efficient, quicker and very dynamic.

I'm not sure the P Audio 12" is the end all, but it looks decent. I'll keep looking and see what I can find. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I think you'll cross your full-range driver higher than you expect if you have the luxury of an active crossover, for the dynamics alone.I would say a 200Hz cross is likely a good bet for hi-fi use and should keep the distortion from a 4" full-range driver in check.

I find 40Hz extention more than adequate for many kinds of music, but who said you have to tune it that high. In my previous listening room i had a pair of tannoy monitors tuned to 40Hz and tuned like this they didn't lack in the bass department, though lowering that to 27Hz and the ensuing low-Q alignment worked better in my room.

Speed is a misnomer, it's all about the integration (both with the systems higher up and with the room.

If you're really after lower frequencies, you could alway look into a 15" driver. The challenger drivers are very solidly built and employ shorting rings in the motor. I use the C18-650EL and it makes a solid impression (in more ways than just the basket). For hifi I might suggest the 4" coil version (C12-500MB) as its T/S work in a smaller box.

Thanks so much for you thoughts. Maybe the P Audio stuff could work after all. I haven't found much more online that looks good to me. I've also looked into Eminence, but I'm not sure I see much advantage there. I do have a friend with a stash of larger woofers locally, so I'll see what he has on hand as well.

Just so you know, the Fostex is a 6.5" driver. Actually, I have two models I'll eventually be trying out, but the same size. The one I'm going to run with at first does go pretty low, just not sure where the cut off will be. 200 hz is a good possibility though.

Thanks again, feel free to continue the thought stream, it's all good stuff.

Now to complete the speaker you'd add some top end (whoops, wrong forum :rolleyes: )

Seriously though, a 12" is likely sufficient for most home use if you're not after very high SPL or home theatre. I don't know what your budget is, but the Behringer DCX 2496 is going for very cheap your side of the pond thesedays and if you have the amps I'd not think twice.

If you have a PC with a Sound Blaster Live!, you could always give the kX drivers a go.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.