HT vs Musicality - What to build?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I finshed my first speaker project last night and am pleased with the results. It's one of the Dayton Home Theater speakers. Yeah, just one. I wanted to see if I liked it doing it, and if I liked the result. Comparing it to a single Rock Solid satellite (circa 1993, designed by B&W, made in Japan) it's got a bit more air up top and and cleaner, tighter bass below. But, it's less efficient, and I was also able to bottom out the mid driver without too much volume, which was a tad disappointing. Overall, though, a good starter project, and way easy to build.

So, now a decision - to finish the set of five speakers, or to do two more Dayton HTs for the rear (using the already completed one for the center) and make two other types for the fronts, shooting for a little more musicality.

It'll take about $200 to do the remaining 4 speakers, and I've got about $300 in mind for a sub. I could juggle things a bit, and swing another $100 for the mains. That would bring the AR.com set in range, which seems to have excellent reviews.

But what about matching timbre, and other such concerns? If it comes down to taking a couple bucks from the woofer project, should I? Is the problem that I'm trying to use the same system for both music and HT? Or should I just get the first matched system under my belt and let myself fall gently into the abyss of upgraditis?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.