marble enclosures?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In my system I had a vibration feedback problem. Marble shelf didn't help sounded just like glass. Hardwood helped, isolators helped. Isolators on Marble didn't work either.

It would seem that a speaker housing should be non resonant or accoustically dead, not just heavy. The Marble I had (a slab) would ring if struck by an object:smash:. Sandstone - now that might be OK

I was thinking of building a large square box for a subwoofer. partially Fill the box with concrete and then infating a weather ballon inside the box until the walls are just a few inches thick. Make sure you reinforce the concrete with some steel mesh, insert befroe baloon. When it hardens, deflate the balloon, dissasemble the box, unless you plane on using the wood as a finish surface, in which case tapcons to tighten the box. and remove the external bracing that you used to hold the form.

Now you have a dense, heavy cabinet with absolutely no parallel sides as the inside should roughly be a globe, depending on ballon size of course. Make your self a nice thick front baffle and chip away the concrete to the opening size required. Tapcon the front baffle into place.

Then invite the nieghbour hood around to help you move it.

Regards

Anthony

Concrete is pretty good and can be poured into a mold, making it attractive in some instances. It is however not inert and can be excited to resonate just like other cabinet materials. Perhaps filling it with lead rebar or something would help dampen it. As for marble, if one is good how about a whole big bag of marbles? Put 'em in the gap with the sand.

A concrete sphere should be fairly easy to move, except on staircases. For that, a neighbour (or even two) would be useless. OTOH, an elevator would work nicely.

I've been thinking that a veneer/MDF/silicone/MDF/silicone composite would be about right for a damped, non-reflective enclosure. I suppose you could try a marble/silicone/MDF/silicone sandwich since the inner MDF/silicone layers are doing all the work.

Either would be a real hassle to fabricate. You could make entire sheets, but cutting it down would be difficult without a laser and that doesn't solve what to do at the seams.

:)ensen.

:)ensen.

I think the concrete layer in an MDF or wood enclosure would be best.

Enclosure walls are excited differently by different frequencys depending upon their size, structure, thickness, and materiel properties(dampening density hardness etc...)

What resonances a concrete enclosure will have a wooden one may or may not have. The idea behind the whole constrained layer dampening is that the materials resonante at different frequencies, and when one would resonate, the other layers dampen.

Concrete has low dampening, high density, and decent hardness, while wood or mdf has a bit more dampening, lower density, and the hardness varys between types. A concrete, MDF, and foam sandwich would probably be killa

Another thing I truely dont understand is why our enclosure insides dont look like anechoic chamber insides. How else can the rear wave be absorbed, resonances eliminated, and re-emitted sounds through the cone diminished.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.