Help! Monacor sph 135C xover - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2005, 11:46 PM   #1
stee-b is offline stee-b  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Help! Monacor sph 135C xover

Righto then all here's my dilemma, I'm attempting a bookshelf sized speaker with a Monacor SPH 135C carbon coned midbass. Any body with any experience of this little joker?

I'm hoping to mate this with either a pair of SEAS H398 or Peerless 811815 tweeters. (found locally 2nd hand &cheap)

Now I've found a few pages from google on the tweeters re crossovers but nowt on the Monacor. Anybody care to help enlighten?!

I've already puchased the 135C's so suggestions of a different driver are too late!!

Any input welcome

Thanks for looking....

Steve
Old 21st February 2005, 04:11 PM   #2
Ian J is offline Ian J  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Stee,
If I remember correctly, Wilmslow audio used this driver in a small sealed bookshelf design called the Duet, though now they have discontinued it. It was paired with, I think, a Vifa tweet. They would certainly be worth talking to if you can't source x-o info from anywhere else, though they would charge about 25 for a design. The only other thing that springs to mind is trying the Monacor/other German forums - Sprechen-Sie Deutsch?
Ian
Old 21st February 2005, 07:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Cheers for the heads up Ian J. My old German lessons at school led me to a 25% mark so I'm not sure how useful that'd be!

Some specs may help encourage I suppose:
SPH-135C

The nasty break up at 6.5 kHz is what concerns me most. Do I play about with a notch filter to dampen it or should I cross over at say 1-3 kHz and try to eliminate it that way? There specs suggest crossing at 4 kHz max, but that'd leave quite an output still from that spike IMO.

Google shows little from the Duet but someone 'round 'ere has built them. Calling Mark 25 ...

Any comments? Anyone?

Steve
Old 2nd October 2005, 07:26 PM   #4
Notax is offline Notax  Montenegro
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stee-b
Cheers for the heads up Ian J. My old German lessons at school led me to a 25% mark so I'm not sure how useful that'd be!

Some specs may help encourage I suppose:
SPH-135C

The nasty break up at 6.5 kHz is what concerns me most. Do I play about with a notch filter to dampen it or should I cross over at say 1-3 kHz and try to eliminate it that way? There specs suggest crossing at 4 kHz max, but that'd leave quite an output still from that spike IMO.

Google shows little from the Duet but someone 'round 'ere has built them. Calling Mark 25 ...

Any comments? Anyone?

Steve
x-over
Mid-bass 12 dB/oct. at 1500-1700 Hz -6 dB point.
Tweeter 12 or 18 dB/oct. at 2100-2500 Hz -3/6 dB point.
No notch filter.
Old 2nd October 2005, 08:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Cheers Notax, are they the values from the Duet or your opinion?

Steve
Old 2nd October 2005, 08:52 PM   #6
Notax is offline Notax  Montenegro
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stee-b
Cheers Notax, are they the values from the Duet or your opinion?

Steve
My opinion.
Old 6th October 2005, 01:52 PM   #7
rgrosa is offline rgrosa  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Hello.

I produced 2 pairs of speakers using Monacor SPH 135AD midwoofers. One pair was sealed and other was ported. I used 2nd ordre crossover for tweeters and midwoofers and crossing freq. a 2,5kHz at sealed and 3kHz at ported design. When i compared sound of both pairs, sealed pair has brighter and clearer mids, more controled bass but with less deep bass. Ported design has deeper bass but with less mids. I try to weaken attenuation at tweeter. The sound beacome better but it sounds like I have turned on loudness on amp. f3 of sealed speakers was 75Hz, but ported design has f3 of 50Hz.
I think both of designs sounds great. I think sealed boxes are better for vocal music, but ported are better for hard rock music and music with a lot of bass components.
Old 6th October 2005, 04:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

If you strapped for cash and don't want to pay the 25.00 for Wilmslow-Audio to design you a crossover, try www.williamshart.com , as they charge just 10.00 for a crossover design and will email you the schmatic and graphs in just a few days.

I've used the service for my 3-way project and the crossover wrok brilliantly.

Mutley
Old 13th October 2005, 03:45 AM   #9
Pluto is offline Pluto  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hello Steve,

cross the SPH-135Cs over at 1.5 kHz. The break up at 6.5 kHz is not the main problem, but the resonance at 1.5 kHz and the decrease in SPL above 1.5 kHz. I guess the Peerless tweeter can handle the low cross over point (if you dont go too loud).

There is an old design from German magazine Klang&Ton using the SPH-135C with a Morel MDT-29 tweeter, crossing over at 1.5 kHz. It is a floorstander, so keep in mind that positioning close to a wall will change the tonal balance.
Woofer section: R-C parallel, 8.2Ohm-22microF, C parallel, 10 microF, L serial, 1.8mH.

I have built a speaker with SPH-135C and Seas H588, but the design is too specific to be helpful here. If you want to fully exploit the bass potential, use a vented cabinet of 15-20 liters. I would recommend a minimum of 10 liters (vented) or 6 liters (sealed).

Peter
Old 13th October 2005, 10:36 AM   #10
Pluto is offline Pluto  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hello Steve,

as Ive seen in the other thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...postid=741504, your speakers using the Monacor SPH-135C look great.

However, my comments on this driver, have been a bit late.

What kind of crossover do you use now and what do the speakers sound like? Considering the free air resonance of 1400 Hz of the Seas, you will not cross over at 1.5 kHz, I suppose?

If you are interested in SPL and distortion data of the woofer (scanned from Klang&Ton), feel free to ask me.

Kind regards

Peter

Hide this!Advertise here!