Suggestinons for a good pair of tweets - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2005, 10:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cody6766
Default Suggestinons for a good pair of tweets

I"m looking to upgrade my car stereo this summer and I'm thinking about getting a new pair of tweets. I have a pair of Morel MDT10's and I love them. I really like now natural sounding they are, not to bright or too dead...just right

I'm definatly not a fan of Focal tweets. They're way too bright and fatiguing to me.

that said, what tweets would you guys consider a worth while upgrade? I'm not worried about size because they're going to be in kick pannels. Power and xover points aren't really an issue because I have enough equipment laying around to tune everythign in.

I'm open to pretty much anything as long as it's priced around $50ea or less. I can probably squeeze out a little more cash per driver if it's REALLY worth the jump, but I'd like to keep it around there.

thanks guys!
Old 20th February 2005, 11:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quite frankly any real difference you will get in sound I think would be masked by the environment you are in. I'd spend money on the car until you get a good level of quality. The morels you have are good tweeters, if you like the sound of them then dont change them. For a real upgrade you are looking at scan speaks or seas excel tweeters. If you wanted to you could try seas 27TDFC or TFFC tweeters but this might not be much of an improvement, because the tweets you are using now are nice.

For a car situation I would get something like the SEAS27TDFC and the L15RLY/P, then a Peerless XLS in the boot for the bass.

If I had limitless money then I would get the scan speak D2904/6000-01 and pair it with a seas excel driver with a mag cone, still with the XLS.

You may not want to be told, dont do anything, you may have the upgrade bug tugging at your wallet and nothing anyone can do is gonna stop you buying something, but I personally would leave the tweets you have where they are.
Old 21st February 2005, 06:21 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

well, I found out last night that one of my morel tweets is no more. I don't know if it's a burnt coil or if it got hit and knocked out of alignment (no grilles...I know, I know). I may just get the Seas tweets to change things up a bit since they're about the same price as the MDT10's.
Just out of curiosity...do you think there woudl be any noticable change going from a MDT10 to one of Morel's higher lines?

How strong is the midbass comming out of those Al cone Seas drivers? I really need something strong down to about 60hz. I've also been eyeing the peerless HDS line, maybe even the new design....opinions?

thanks for the info!

oh, I have the sub covered. I'm in LOVE with my JL 10w7. Plenty of very accurate low end
Old 21st February 2005, 08:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jim85IROC
A lot of guys seem to like the Max Fidelity soft domes, and the LPG soft & hard dome tweeters. Both are neo tweeters in a car audio type of packaging (surface mount, swivel mount, blah blah blah). I've heard neither, but those are the two that I most often hear good things about in that price range.
Old 22nd February 2005, 02:19 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I think you can probably get a replacement voicecoil and dome for the morel anyway so you still dont need to get new tweeters!

WRT the bass output of certain drivers down to 60hz, I would just simulate with them and remember to include any cabin gain.
Old 22nd February 2005, 06:00 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

what's WRT? never heard of it.

I can get a new dome, but they're as much as new tweet almost. I might as well just buy a new pair. I also have a bit of a home audio project brewing in the back of my mind, so this will leave me an extra mdt10 for center channel. I"m not really too worried about an extra $25 for a new tweet and I kinda want to try something new. I just want to know for sure (by opinions since I can't listen for myself) that the changeI make is the right one.
Old 22nd February 2005, 02:05 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Oh okedoke, I hope what you decide to get does give you an improvement.

WRT = with regards/respect to
Old 22nd February 2005, 02:16 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

thanks man. I"ll probably give those Seas tweets a shot. I kinda want to broaden my listening horizons too. You can never hear too many different drivers right?
Old 22nd February 2005, 02:19 PM   #9
Puggie is offline Puggie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If you are a fan of the Morel I'd be tempted to try one of the larger ceramic magnet drivers, I think the MDT30/32 is probably just within your budget. I personally am a big fan of the Morels but not the Seas drivers I've heard. I find the Aluminium dome Seas drivers a little hard and fatiguing, not as natural as the Morel (I've only hear Alu and plastic domed Seas units though).
Old 22nd February 2005, 11:26 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

humm....anyone else? I'm not set on anything as of yet. I've also had a Goldwood tweet suggested to me. I can't remember which model, but are they on par with the other highly regarded brands?

Hide this!Advertise here!