RARE Mini A2 Voice of the Theater - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th February 2005, 03:38 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default RARE Mini A2 Voice of the Theater

Ever see one of these? It's a mini version of an Altec Lansing A2 Voice of the Theater speaker.

Click the image to open in full size.

As far as I know, there are only 2 or 3 others in existence. Think it was built in the 1940's as some type of sales device to show off the A2 and A4 sound systems to theatre owners around the country. I still own two full size A2's that came out of the George Burns Theatre. Bought them almost 25 years ago.

'Been thinking about making some 1/2 or maybe 1/4 scale copies of the big A2's. Really wonder what something like that would sound like. I found some small square framed Bose car stereo speakers that fit in the mini (the original Altec speakers had disappeared long ago) and it's amazing how good it sounds for that small of a speaker. Got the mini up on Ebay and I think I'm gonna regret selling it, but it's given me inspiration to build something just a little bigger......

What do you think? There is some serious potential there for home use if it was scaled down to a more manageable size. The exponential flare of the horn would be the tough part to make, but I think I know how.

Guy
Old 18th February 2005, 06:07 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have a friend in Oakland, California who collects theatre memorabilia, he has a full set of these miniature Altec speakers in glass display cabinets.

You are correct they are salesman samples, which were built on a common scale and used as "point of sales" examples for clients.

Cyclotronguy
Old 18th February 2005, 09:21 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default mini A2

Do you think that design would work well for home use in a little larger scale? I'm seriously considering building a pair.

Guy
Old 18th February 2005, 09:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: mini A2

Quote:
Originally posted by RacerXtreme
Do you think that design would work well for home use in a little larger scale? I'm seriously considering building a pair.
What does "work well" mean? Even in the full-size A2s, the horn is too short to act much like a horn.
Old 18th February 2005, 09:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The A2 horn works well at higher frequencies, which is just what was required when theatre operators placed them behind projection screens.

Small ones as a conversation piece for home use, with lots of eq....... sure.

Cyclotronguy
Old 18th February 2005, 10:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Too short?

The horn in a full size A2 is too short? Compared to what? It's 29" deep and the total depth of the cabinet is 39". If the horn was much more than that it would make for one *******' HUGE
cabinet. Heck, it's huge now.

What does work well mean? Well, I meant would it sound good?

Personally, I don't think the perfect speaker exists. Many designs have their strengths and weaknesses and (without spending a fortune) personal preference is always a factor in the quest for the "ultimate" speaker system. What might sound good to you might not sound as good to someone else. Obviously the size and shape of the room your trying to fill with sound is also an important factor.

I had a pair of Magnepan Tympani's that were fairly expensive at the time and sounded absolutely incredible, but they lacked decent low end and were not exactly the most efficient speakers in the world.

I'm aware of the inherent positive and negative aspects of the VOTT 210 cabinets - like their "binny" nature. I've owned four of them for 25 years and have spent a lot of time listening to them in many different environments - from the stage of a 1500 seat theater to outdoor concerts....... to my garage. I've read every printed word I can find on them and what needs to be done to improve them. They are not the best speakers in the world, but I don't think they're anywhere near the worst either.

Guess it comes down to what type of music you like, what type of sound your looking for, and how much it's gonna cost you.

Ever listen to one of these?

Loud is beautifull .........if it's clean.

Guy
Old 19th February 2005, 04:58 PM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

When you listen to those... Ubangi into the walls a lot.

Hey Guy I see those mini's are closing soon. I wonder what VOT.com has as a maximum. Those would be really cool to have with the rest of the stuff but I've been spending too much on speakers lately so I don't think I'll go higher.

I wonder if we're allowed to discuss things like this? I guess I'll find out in the next hour or so.

Also Guy, you stole GM's signature.

Cal
Old 19th February 2005, 05:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Turn it up........

Hey Cal,

didn't mean to steal his signature........just like the way he said it.

see ya

Guy
Old 21st February 2005, 05:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

RCA "W" cabinets; yeah they rock!

Cyclotronguy
Old 21st February 2005, 06:05 PM   #10
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Guy,
I see they ended the bid and your reserve not met. I guess my 50 bucks was an insult, sorry.

Cal

Hide this!Advertise here!