Beryllium Tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1. The price will be exhorbitant.

2. The neo magnet they are using is probably less than an n45 (i.e. there are better magnets being produced by others).

3. Because the mass of BE is so low the VC wire must weigh quite a bit for such a low eff. and/or the diaphram is overly "thick".

4. The high fs will limit its use for mid driver pairing.

5. The high freq. off-axis response (if I'm reading it correctly) is rather good at only 5db 30 degrees at 20kHz, (less good if that's 5db at 15kHz).

#'s 4 and 5 essentially mandate that this driver be used ONLY as a tweeter and combined with a mid that has good off-axis response well above 4kHz.

5th element said:
The tweeter is 10 dB down at 20khz. If I am looking at this in the right way I think this tweeter is for car use not home.

No, the graph x-axis labels are messed up. Count over from the 1294 Fs, and it becomes apparent the 10000 label is shifted to the right by one division. The vertical it labels is actually 20000, and the 10 dB down at 20 kHz is actually 30 degrees off axis.

In any event, Focal curves are a bit more optimistic than Seas (not saying this is a bad driver, far from it); I'd like to see some measurements done by a third party.

Cheers,
Francois.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
5th element said:
The tweeter is 10 dB down at 20khz. If I am looking at this in the right way I think this tweeter is for car use not home.

On axis response is down at most 2db at 20K, yeah the 30 degree off axis starts to drop off at about 10Khz and is down 10db at 20Khz..... I think you will find that this is simply due to the size and shape of the dome. (and is really quite good)

Comparing to a morel supreme 110 It admittedly seems to start to drop off sooner (30 deg off axis), but the response at 20Khz 30 degrees off access is quite a bit better than the morel, which is up there with the best tweeters......

I think you will find any tweeters(unless very small) will be drooping quite a bit at 20Khz 30 deg off axis, it is simply the same physics that says for instance a 5" driver will start beaming at 3Khz, it is just that the freq is now higher because the radiating area is smaller (I just did a quick search on scanspeak and found that their ring radiator, and revelators show the same behaviour).

Tony.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
with beryllium

If you are particularly interested in experimenting with beryllium drivers, don't forget GOTO from Japan.
regards Walter

Attachments

• dscn4674.jpg
    dscn4674.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 556
ScottG said:

1. The price will be exhorbitant.

2. The neo magnet they are using is probably less than an n45 (i.e. there are better magnets being produced by others).

3. Because the mass of BE is so low the VC wire must weigh quite a bit for such a low eff. and/or the diaphram is overly "thick".

4. The high fs will limit its use for mid driver pairing.

5. The high freq. off-axis response (if I'm reading it correctly) is rather good at only 5db 30 degrees at 20kHz, (less good if that's 5db at 15kHz).

#'s 4 and 5 essentially mandate that this driver be used ONLY as a tweeter and combined with a mid that has good off-axis response well above 4kHz.

1. Definitely. The Audiom line is very expensive - $500 for the titanium tweeter. I can't imagine how expensive the Berillium will be.

2. The sensitivity is rated at 93 Db/W/m, which is good. The magnet shouldn't be much of an issue here.

3. See above. 93dB/W/m is not 'such a low efficiency'. And the 'high' fs is probably due to the light weight of the dome. If anything, I would rather they increase the mass a little to lower the fs with an associated lowering of efficiency, but that certainly isn't for me to decide :)

4. Why? Or maybe I should ask, what do you mean? I don't see a problem using this driver crossed over at 2.5kHz, which would be a good two-way.

5. Good off axis response is normally a good thing. Based on your assumption, just about any tweeter would need to be a three way (at least), so I don't really think that is related to the this tweet.

Very nice looking, exceptionally small faceplate - and the faceplate is thicker than the magnet! Now, kevinlomax, where can you get this tweeter anyway? And the price? (Or is it one of those cases where if you have to ask, you can't afford it!)

Magnets are VERY important to sound quality.

93db isn't very good for such a low mass diaphram, if anything it should be considerably better than a titanium version.

near fs the driver becomes increasingly distorted (i.e. your CSD will look like crap), ultimatly this means you will need a very steep crossover to get anywhere near the driver's fs while maintaining quality output. Additionally, to maintain good dispersion you will likely need a mid driver with a fairly small diameter. This isn't to say though that you couldn't use a driver with a larger diameter and less off-axis output (in the crossover region), but the freq. balance will suffer as a result (though this could be advantageous - i.e. the BBC "dip").

(note: I was just assesing the driver from the specs provided..)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.