Speaker problems - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2005, 09:39 PM   #1
paul_g is offline paul_g  Israel
diyAudio Member

Default Speaker problems

HI all,
I'm Paul in Jerusalem,Israel.I'm into music,which I play on several instruments,but also enjoy listening on quality equipment.
About 10-12 years ago,I bought a pair of Royd A7 speakers,which have served me well,but a couple of weeks ago I noticed a problem,the paper cone of one of them was torn.I took them to a technician who recommended they be sent away to a compnay that refurbishes them,which he did,and they came back and I was blown away by the sound.It was great.However,after a couple of weeks I noticed some distortion in one speaker,and there seems to be a problem in that speaker,which I beleive wasn't there when I got them back from the re-building but who knows.Also,the two speakers don't sound exactly alike anymore.
These Royd A7's are nice speakers,although Royd themselves do not hold spares anymore.
Would anybody have an idea of the possibility of finding a pair of good quality 5inch mid-range woofers that I could install in place of the two woofers currently in the Royds?
Any advice,recommendations of makes,and names of suppliers much appreciated.

thanks,

Paul in Jerusalem
Old 16th February 2005, 11:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You cannot simply substitute in another driver and expect it to sound good. The crossover in the Royd was specially designed for the drivers used in the Royd, put another driver into this speaker will not really give good results.

Why not as another option have a look round for kits that use 5" mid/bass drivers and build this into the Royd cabinets. BY the looks of things the cabinets would be OK sealed with a number of the midbass drivers of that size.

If you have the ability to build new cabinets yourself then I would suggest building a nice kit instead of trying to rectify that old speaker. Technology has come on a lot since 1982 and most good kits would probably be significantly better then the A7's.

Something like zaphs L15/27TTFC design located here

http://home.new.rr.com/zaph/audio/audio-speaker12.html

would be a good choice.

Hide this!Advertise here!