TJL in figured rock maple veneer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm about to veneer a new 24L cabinet with an American timber veneer called Rock Maple. It is the figured type, crown cut.

Has anyone had experience with this veneer? Warnings/comments/suggestions are all most welcome. :)

I'll be giving the iron-on/dry PVA method another go. My first speaker used raw unbacked veneer, but this time I chose to try out paper backed veneer.

Construction pictures will be on my website... the cabinet will be used for Troels Gravesen's TJL

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
When glueing, it does have a tendency to ripple. If you can get one, (or make one), a vacuum press would be very useful.

edit: Oops, I just re-read your post and saw you're going with iron-on. So ignore my above comments. Just try not to get any water/glue on the veneer, and do a test piece first.

Hi pinkmouse,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Does this mean that it tends to ripple when glueing via some regular method eg. using contact cement?

I have read reports of bleed-through issues when using thin paper backed veneer with regular contact cement. Water based contact cement is a bit better.

However I plan to use Pete Mazz's veneering guide. My veneer is not the pre-glued or iron-on type. It's just the regular paper-backed variety.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.