Best midrange for intelligibility of voice - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2005, 10:44 AM   #21
Puggie is offline Puggie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The Morels 144s are very good, I'm looking at using a pair of the 114s for my centre as they fit under the TV nicely, very natural and intelligable for voice and excellent off axis response (and you can get away with 1st order Xovers too while giving them silly power).
Old 15th February 2005, 10:49 AM   #22
just another
diyAudio Moderator

well spotted pink mouse..... I saw your mistake and then made one myself!!!! must have had tweeters on my mind

Tony.
Old 15th February 2005, 10:57 AM   #23
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by rick57
Planet 10 are you there??
Just caught the thread...

My WR125s are still awaiting the boxes ... going to retrofit my pyramids for a monopole experiment and i've a bipole (with help from Tim) i have to get my butt in gear and draw.

Keep in mind that for the price of 2 Jordans you can have 4 WR125...i'm not a big fan of centre channels, you should consider making a stereo pair of WR125s as opposed to a single Jordan...

dave
Old 15th February 2005, 11:01 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Pinkmouse & wintermute

A quick surf shows that the Morels cover the desired range, and are excellent value.

But it’s unlikely that poly cones (albeit good ones based on Dynaudio) are unlikely to have quite the detail of metal cones.
quite
Old 15th February 2005, 11:19 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Dave
> “for the price of 2 Jordans you can have 4 WR125”

Haven’t done a price survey, but the only place I know selling both, Creative Sound sells the JX92S for $C200, and the CSS WR125S – ah - that’s a **pair** for $C165 (hadn’t noticed that before - thanks!).

> ...i'm not a big fan of centre channels,

Nor I.
In my main (dual music-movie) system, there will be no centre.
But this ‘system’ is pure movie & TV.
(nb: I have two locally home but professionally made 4.5 inch metal cones, with (I believe Seas Alnico magnet based) drivers that could later be the L&R in this widely dispersed seating arrangement for five people).

So price aside, as I’d need to find a use for the spare CSS from the pair (it wouldn’t be hard, but time is an issue) – which do you think should reproduce voice better - or not much difference?

Cheers
Old 15th February 2005, 11:27 AM   #26
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
quite
You might be suprised!

I sure wish we still had an Adire dealer in the UK. If I had the cash/backing, I might be tempted to try set one up.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 15th February 2005, 11:59 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

dave
I’ve read eg:
“I heard the CSS twice, and was stunned. For such a small driver, the bass extension was surprising. High end good also. Hardly needs a tweeter.”

So great bass for the size & top extension, but he didn’t mention the mids.
Did you hear them before you bought them?

Pinkmouse
Clumsy 1st attempt at using change of font characteristics!
I might be surprised, but in the absence of being able to hear, am relying partly on general characteristic patterns.
Old 15th February 2005, 01:34 PM   #28
gary f is offline gary f  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Speech intelligibility

Hello

Speech intelligibility is influenced by the sound spectrum produced by your system. First thing is to choose of course a low distorsion driver for the midrange. But, if you want to increase intelligibility, you may want to change the frequency response of your system so you have less bass and more energy in the 300-5000 range. It will not be optimal for music, but for speech, it will be better.

F
Old 15th February 2005, 04:50 PM   #29
morbo is offline morbo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Rick, you may be interested in this:

http://home.new.rr.com/zaph/audio/4.5test

Also, I don't know if you need shielding or not, if so I don't know if the Jordan is shielded or not.
Old 15th February 2005, 08:09 PM   #30
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
But it’s unlikely that poly cones (albeit good ones based on Dynaudio) are unlikely to have quite the detail of metal cones.
Poly. i'm not that all fond of, but it is very hard to make a metal cone driver that has a decent response as it starts to roll off... the Jordans being one major exception. Ted has spent on the order of 40 years working on getting them to where they behave more like a paper cone does. The current drivers have come a long way since the Jordan-Watts modules i had 30 years ago.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!