Best midrange for intelligibility of voice - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2005, 04:45 AM   #11
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thereís no Focal 7C now. At Zalytron thereís:
Oh, they are listed under "Access". Dumb name. These are discontinued, but I think they still have them. The quality is just as good as focal's 'normal' line, they just have latex coated paper cones instead of high tech trendy materials. The impulse response on many of the models is among the best I've seen. (and they sounded like it)

Quote:
7K 4412 Polykevlar midbass
7 K 6411 Polykevlar high efficiency midrange
7 V 4212DB7" Polyglass midbass dual v.c
7 W 4411 W-coned midbass
Couldn't tell you. I haven't heard the focal kevlars for years. The W cone drivers I tried were awfully nice, and were perfect up to 700hz where I crossed them to mids. I'd imagine any would be good.

I still think crossover and system design is going to be the most important thing. All of these drivers are very good.

GB
Old 15th February 2005, 04:54 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Best midrange for intelligibility of voice

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Fitzpatrick
I wonder if I'm missing something here? I have a 2 channel stereo system and NO center channel. The dialog from VHS and DVD is excellent. I wonder why things are not so with you.
Ditto.
Old 15th February 2005, 04:55 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Bill
Sure, a good 2 channel stereo system and no center channel can have clear dialog.
At present mine is a pair of $US 200 Mission speakers Ė not at all bad, but I want something better.

I could make a better 2 channel system, but I donít use it for music, and Iíd rather one excellent channel to two very good ones.
Do you recommend any drivers?
Old 15th February 2005, 08:08 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I don't doubt that crossover and system design is most important, and several drivers are very good. I want to start by picking the best of those drivers, then work on the XO etc.

I've just read eg that while the CSS WR125 has basically a flat response over this passband, the Jordan deliberately has a rising response above 2 kHz, to give flatter off axis response.
So in the direction I was heading, the Jordan would on that count be a little better.

But the main question is - which driver might be more articulated/ detailed over 140 Hz - 2 kHz??

Who's heard both?
Old 15th February 2005, 08:18 AM   #15
diyAudio Moderator

Well, you said not wildly expensive, so i can't recommend my fave ATC soft dome. If you can get them, have a look for the Audax PR170, one of the best and most sensitive mids around. It's not screened though, so may be a litle tricky to implement.

What about the Morel MD144?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 15th February 2005, 08:35 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

pinkmouse

I know the Audax PR170 is one of most sensitive mids around, and great value, especially for the dynamics of music, but am not sure if one of the clearest for voice ~ could well be?

But IIRC it starts at about 250 Hz, about one octave higher than I wanted.
Old 15th February 2005, 09:07 AM   #17
diyAudio Moderator

rick

Well true, I wouldn't run it much below 200Hz ideally, but I don't think it would have any problems with vocal clarity. The main problem would be finding them, people that have them tend to want to keep them!

Of your selections so far, currently I would favour the Jordans, but I will have a think, see if anything else comes to mind.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 15th February 2005, 09:18 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

pinkmouse thanks, Iím probably leaning to the Jordans too (just).

Planet 10 are you there??

Youíve heard both the Jordans and the CSS (and maybe somer others).
What do you think is best for dialog?

Thanks
Old 15th February 2005, 09:29 AM   #19
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse

What about the Morel MD144?
Was thinking the same My GF was playing around with my testing mic and preamp, playing through my prototype MTM using the MDT144's and I was amazed at how accurate they were for her voice. There wasn't any colouration at all (that I could detect).

as a bonus they are shielded

Tony.
Old 15th February 2005, 09:32 AM   #20
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by wintermute
... using the MDT144's ...
Of course, we both mean the MW144s, but such minor nuances are for lesser mortals to worry about!

Hide this!Advertise here!