How to change impedance with two 8 ohm speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have two 8 ohm 6-1/2 in. woofers I'd like to use in a center channel design. The problem is keeping the impedance of the speaker at 8 ohms. Is there a way to modify the crossover in order to keep the total impedance of the speaker at 8 ohms instead of 4 or 16? I'm planning a WTW center channel with a 4 ohm tweeter. I've considered just using two 4 ohm woofers instead but was hoping to use the ones I have at least for now.

The rest of the speakers in the system are all 8 ohms. The amp is also set 8 ohms and I'm trying to be safe and not trip the breaker in the amp. How would I set up a dummy load for each speaker? I've thought about just adding an 8 ohm resister on each driver but thought this may only effect DC resistance and not impedance. Is this the way to go or is there something else you guys have in mind?

I wouldn't really recommend attaching a dummy load, as you're just making your speakers less efficient and wasting energy. Think of it this way: you're running 10 total watts to your speaker, the actual drivers are only getting 5 watts each and the resister has to dissipate 5 watts.

If you want an 8 ohm total MTM you really want to start with 4 ohm woofers.

You can get some nice dayton 6.5" shielded 4 ohm speakers for only about $20 each.

I'd save your 8 ohm woofers for a TM project some day and get the parts your really need for an 8 ohm speaker.

If the amplifier has a circuit breaker, and you are not afraid of opening the amp to reset it as required, try it one time. Wire the speakers up with some chumpy capacitor for the tweeter to protect it and wire it all together. No box or anything required. Crank it. loud. Louder. When your ears hurt, and the breaker hasn't tripped, you know you don't have a problem.

If the breaker trips, come back and ask again. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.